Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 waveblaster has no power

Hi guys

94 WaveBlaster 701 (stock)
    Ski was running fine, then a couple of day's later I put it in the water and it would start and idle like normal, but when you get on the gas it has no power. It just doesn't go very fast (35mph). It doesn't stall, spit or backfire. I don't think it is reving up? On the trailer it hits the rev limiter at 5% throttle, or it is just bogging. Should it rev way up without the water hooked up on the trailer?

This is my first Yamaha. I am not very familiar with the cooling,exhaust, and jet drive systems. Fuel pump is the diaphram's in the carb, right? There is no flush connection on my ski. Where do I install one? There is obiously a rev limiter, is it built in to the cdi? Is there something that usually goes on WaveBlaster's that would cause my problem?

Any input would be great

+1
    Mark...congrats on the Blaster.....and you will love it when you get it right. It's easier if you want to call me vs trying to type the things to look for. PM me if you want to talk in greater detail....if not here is the list to check

1. Compression...should be 150psi on a cold engine throttle wide open
    2. Carb ----I would rebuild the 44 on it. "you can never do this to much IMO"
    3. Temp senser could be bad....you can check ohms to see while heating in hot water.
    4. Pump issues.
    5. Over heating due to water restrictions.

M

Check those as MP mentions ( he's the #1 blaster tech here).. along with getting a tach reading under load to verify its peak rpms..

Now sorry to ask you some nube question's, but i do cause this is a new ski to you..so please dont take offence, none's intended..

how old is your fuel?(carbs varnished).. Are you mixing the right ratios of oil for yami ski?(plug fouling).

I dont know what your knowlage is other than this being your first Yami ..

Is it possible the prior owners sold it to you with old fuel and or with a large mix of it ,with new ?

A member about a month ago had issues like this with a 98 GP760..., following my sugestion he removed his needles , flushed his needle seats with with sea foam spray.. reinstalled 'em and then ran sea foam stablizer in a flushed fuel system and solved his prob.. He p/m'd later stating he did this before wanting to tear the carbs apart... he was a nube, and didnt want to wrench on 'em as yet..
    ( which is part of the old schooler's survival kit....wrenching..)

IMT,This being a 94, I'd go thru the carb/carbs as MP posted above and flush the fuel system so you will eliminate those issues and know they are right..

ok, yes.. I'll admit..

I'm a member of the Anal 'take 'em apart,make sure its right club'..

+1
    I won't say I'm the #1 "blaster" tech on here....but I do know every single bolt size on the ski by heart and have had 12 of them now.

i did say 'blaster' tech..

+1 wear ring prop clearance?..... motor sounds fine but no speed..........#4 on mp's list

+1
    This is my first Yamaha. I am not very familiar with the cooling,exhaust, and jet drive systems. Fuel pump is the diaphram's in the carb, right? There is no flush connection on my ski. Where do I install one? There is obiously a rev limiter, is it built in to the cdi? Is there something that usually goes on WaveBlaster's that would cause my problem?

1. Yes the "fuel pump" per say is inside your carbs. It's driven by a pulse line that goes from the cases to the carb itself and there a check valves etc inside the carb that control fuel.

2. You can "if stock" linstall an inline one where your main water line comes in from the rear of the ski. It will go directly to your exhaust manifold. If you have an aftermarket head, you can just install one on one of the fittings there.

3. Yes the limiter is in the CDI itself and there is no need for adjustment unless your doing mods. At that time you can get the pro-tec modded like I have an or aftermarket stuff.

M

How much to rebuild the carbs in that machine

+1
    $45 for the rebuild kit
    $15 for the N/S
    $8 for the base basket

M

+1
    I would also change fuel filter out if it were me =0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information