Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

221 hours on my friend's XLT (What to do?)

Guys, my friend Danny has an '02 YAMAHA XLT with 221 hours. The engine not only runs strong but sounds amazing as well. Comp is even on all 3 when purchased in 07. The ski was bought with 163 hours. No comp test done lately but the power is even better now than it was when he purchased it. What is expected at this hour count? What should be done. The carbs were rebuilt about 5 hours ago, went premix about 30 hours ago, PV's were cleaned & scraped, pv motor was replaced as well. Engine is extremely strong but the high hours is a concern. Please tell us what to expect or what should be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For pictures of the above mentioned ski, if you have myspace, check out www.myspace.com/PWCManiac page "We've been riding together for years"
    Last edited by PWCManiac; 04-20-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: misspellings

+1
    Keep doing whatever it is your doing... "If its not broke dont fix it" "RIDE MORE WORRY LESS" Ive seen all these quotes on here

Or blow it up and build it stronger and faster!!! <-- My personal favorite.

I agree with Ink. The only thing I would keep an eye on are the bearings/seals in the pump and intermediate shaft housing. Also the shafts itself. The spline do wear over time!!

hello all im the owner of the ski that pwcmaniac is talking about. i just want to know if you guys think it would be a good idea to replace the pv's?

Dude, since you are NOT a POLARIS man anymore, (for two years now) CHANGE YOUR AVATAR!!!!

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust wait a second !!!!

some 2 stroke engines, when the carb check valves are worn, can begin to lean on a balanced basis, this leaning can create better performance, like leaning out a race engine. You think she's running strong as ever, but in reality shes heading for a big bang !!

I'd get the carbs done just to be safe....they cost alot less than an engine

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust wait a second !!!!

some 2 stroke engines, when the carb check valves are worn, can begin to lean on a balanced basis, this leaning can create better performance, like leaning out a race engine. You think she's running strong as ever, but in reality shes heading for a big bang !!

I'd get the carbs done just to be safe....they cost alot less than an engine
    they have 5 hours on them,if done correct they will be fine for a good while yet....

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    I agree with Ink. The only thing I would keep an eye on are the bearings/seals in the pump and intermediate shaft housing. Also the shafts itself. The spline do wear over time!!
    I agree with this point. It's the only thing that let me down on my XL1200Ltd (the splines stripped, and I was dead lucky I was near the beach. 15 minutes earlier and I'd have been a couple of miles out to sea!). If it's running good, keep riding and enjoying it!

First of all, thanks guys. As always, the Greehulk family always comes through. Anyway, that's what I'm telling him, I'm telling him to enjoy it. It sounds strong & what I suspect in all sincerity is that the cluster says 221 but when he bought it, that engine may have been recently rebuilt. He purchased the ski with 163 hours on it. Let's say it was rebuilt with 155 hours, that engine may only have 70+/- hours (maybe even less). It truly sounds as good if not better than mine that was JUST rebuilt last week & now has 4 hours. Unfortunately sometimes these 2 strokes won't give you any signs when they are about to go but I suggested a compression test just to be on the safe side. Guys, on a side note, any sugggestions on where to buy amsoil? I've heard nothing but good stories about it & we are pretty tired of the YAMA-Sludge.

thanks everyone for you input. all though i think im going to go order the waveeater clips just to have some security

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information