Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st project finished!!!!!

I completed my first project on my gp1200 today after about 3 hours and a slight scare for a lil bit....The project was to replace the bushing inside the two couplings of the driveshaft which obviously required me to take the motor mount bolts out and the shift the motor forward to enable me to get the bushing in there...After doing all this and putting everything back together i went to start it and sounded like crap after a second of running like it was wanting to die on me....I immediately paniced and shut it off thinking something seriously went wrong....So i went to take everything back off when I noticed I didn't even have the freaking gas turned on.....I felt pretty stupid after this...lol...so i turned the gas on and fired right up and sounded great and a lot better before without all the clickiticlak noise the coupling were making before....This was my first time ever working on my ski myself and I have to say it feels pretty good to do your own shit to your ski without having to take it somewhere although there are many guys on here such as dave, peavler, kris, and romo who have all been very helpful in making me understand my ski more and more everyday. The only I need to do that peavler said for me to go back and do is to put locktite on all the bolts that go into the motor mount...My only question is what type of locktite is good since the bolts are being screwed into rubber...does it even matter?

P.S. And I am going to try to get pics on here of the old bushing that came out of it...It looks like crap!!! there were only about 4 fingers left on it....all the others had been ripped off...I'm guessing because of the triples that were once on there...

Sometimes chewed up dampners can mean bad alignement. Not trying to scare you but it probably was just old and was falling apart. Also I never put locktite on my motor mount bolts. I probably should but I never yet have one come loose so I just stick to what I do. Also the mounts are rubber but there are metal inserts that the bolts screw into. I would use medium strength loctite. The "blue stuff."

fuel off..who would do that?? I plead, GUILY..

I usually start 'em before dropping in the water,but this day ...i didnt, and i'm crank, crank ,crank.. wtf!!? ops oh yeah ..fuel good thing I run gel cell's..
    I go thru a walk around now.. fuel on ,drain plugs in, extinguisher on board, whistle on lanyard thats clipped on a heavy strap on the vest.. inside is extra oil, spair lanyard and ropes along with a cell phone and wallet in a water proof container...

thats a nice little checklist short and to the point

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Tamous, imagine what that simple job would have cost at the dealer, or a powersports place. You just saved yourself a buttload of money. Somewhere on here there is a video on checking the alignment on the couplers...

And I have also done the fuel shutoff thing... Hate that!

+1
    Congrats man....glad you got it done. I do recommend blue loctite on those bolts....however. Lots of vibes in skis and if you notice from the factory, there is loctite on there and it even calls for it in your Service manual.

M

mine get done...if you use alot,and coat the thread's it keeps the water out of them!

(there is a blue gel type now with a brush)

Also I never put locktite on my motor mount bolts. I probably should but I never yet have one come loose so I just stick to what I do. Also the mounts are rubber but there are metal inserts that the bolts screw into. I would use medium strength loctite. The "blue stuff."[/quote]

+1 dont put much if you do, I had a motor that I worked on where a guy used that stuff and it settled down in the bottom of the bolt hole and when we torqed the bolts to spec, it didnt get tight because of the buildup of loctite in the hole. Spent hours cleaning that crap out... Most of the time I use a light coat of zinc spray to keep out the corrosion and thats it. Never had a bolt come loose for me.

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    fuel off..who would do that?? I plead, GUILY..

I usually start 'em before dropping in the water,but this day ...i didnt, and i'm crank, crank ,crank.. wtf!!? ops oh yeah ..fuel good thing I run gel cell's..
    I go thru a walk around now.. fuel on ,drain plugs in, extinguisher on board, whistle on lanyard thats clipped on a heavy strap on the vest.. inside is extra oil, spair lanyard and ropes along with a cell phone and wallet in a water proof container...
    wow!!! that is a great and thorough checklist...you have no idea how ignorant i felt tho after realizing i didnt even have the fuel on.....although i was very relieved after finding it

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Congrats man....glad you got it done. I do recommend blue loctite on those bolts....however. Lots of vibes in skis and if you notice from the factory, there is loctite on there and it even calls for it in your Service manual.

M
    Thanks man!!!!! and yes i will go back and locktite all 4 bolts to keep my mind at peace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information