Prohibido usuario
    +1

Winterized for 15 months!!!

I love the 4-tec engine. I winterized my '04 RXP and '05 RXT in January of '08. They sat outside till the fall of '08 covered and tarped and then were moved to a storage shed for the '08-'09 winter.

Got them home and was trying to decide my best course of action. Was thinking about removing the valve cover to lube the top end real good since the '04's have a valve issue. I grew way to impatient though. Someone had took the covers off when they were moved to the shed and they were dusty and you could see where a cat had walked on them. I found kernels of corn on top of the ride plate in the pump tunnel so I'm guessing an animal was storing their winter groceries there. I washed the skis and put the trickle charger on the batteries in hopes that a little life may still be there. I was curious to see if the memory had been wiped and the ski's wouldn't recognize the keys so I grabbed the battery booster pack and hooked it up to the first ski. The gauge turned on and said key but beeped only twice. I fiddled with the key and got the sea doo good to go prompt. What the hell, I started cranking the ski in flood mode to pump the oil to the head for about 15 seconds. I then proceeded to the RXP with the battery booster pack and the key was good to go on it also so I cranked it in flood mode for about 20 seconds also. I then returned to the RXT and flood cranked it for about 15 seconds. I decided to try starting it but it was bone dry (the way I left them) so I took a 5 gallon can to the gas station and filled it up. Put half in one ski and half in the other. Tried cranking the RXT and it fired right up. Let it run for about 15 seconds and shut it down. Same thing with the RXP. I then broke out the hose and cranked the RXT and let it idle for about 5 minutes before I goosed the throttle a couple of times then shut it down. Same thing on the RXP, no problems what so ever.

Man these engines are reliable. Oil looked good as I am running the Mobil 1 MX4T full synthetic and it only had a couple of hours on it when I winterized them. This is the longest I have heard of one sitting without being cranked. When I took the seat off there was no spider webs, dust or anything else in the engine compartment which I was amazed at.

+1
    He's alive

I'm glad the skis are working in your favor. Feel free to drag them down to LA again this summer so I can splatter a fish all over your RXP hood

I thought synthetic was best not used in these motors with SC applications.?

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    He's alive

I'm glad the skis are working in your favor. Feel free to drag them down to LA again this summer so I can splatter a fish all over your RXP hood
    It will be nice to ride them after 18+ months, might ride tomorrow even though it will only be 65. Wish I could make it but don't see that as being possible this year.

Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    Only trained professionals should try it.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    ... Only trained professionals should try it.

Rodney... glad to see you're back!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post

It's ok if the oil is JASO MA certified such as AMSOIL motorcycle and marine oil or Mobile 1 synthetic motorcycle racing oil (MX4T).

Thread Information