Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Virage TX 1200 exhaust question

Hello guys,

I am putting back together a 1200 Virage TX, and I checked with Polaris they do not show any exhaust gaskets between the jugs and the exhaust manifold. Is it possible that they just used some high temp silicone? They show gaskets for the Genesis.... not the Virage TX. Do I look for an aftermarket gasket kit and use them? or pay the price from good old Polaris and use the ones for a Genesis?..... need some help guys.

Thanks

+1
    They do not come with gaskets and do not put any in...they can/could pull your cylinders out of round. Use the Permatex Ultra Copper high temp rtv silicone gasket maker or something equal to it. Can be found at any auto store.

32degh20,

Thanks for the help, when I pulled it apart I did see some silicone on it and it never was opened up. How does having gaskets on it pull the cylinders out of round? Do they get to hot? and not get rid on the heat?

Thanks again.

+1
    Nope...it's because the gaskets have enough squish in them when you torque the manifold bolts down that it can actually cause the cylinder to warp/bend which pulls the bore out of round...oval shape.

but later models 2003 msx 140 and model year 2004 Genisis I and msx 140 do use gaskets. you could use the ones off these model years. They will fit your unit. To pull the cylinder out of round thats a new one.

+1
    Actually it's not and is well known by experienced Polaris individuals...and don't use the MSX either. It's any gasket will do this on these cylinders...it's why Polaris got rid of them in late 99!!...don't believe me?...just ask any former Polaris watercraft division personal who was there in the late 90's. The MSX has a much stronger cylinder with more metal/material on the exhaust side and is not able to be pulled out of round like the others are.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

correct

32 is absolutely 100 % correct use no gaskets,even the triple pipe setups by factory pipe don't use gaskets

Thanks guys for the helpful info. Why did they use them on the 650/750/780? and not just high temp silicone? in the early years.

+1
    completely different motor...they were fuji motors and not the domestic ones.

+1
    are you guys serious? I have measured them with gaskets and without gaskets and without the manifold torqued in place. The difference is so little it will not make a difference. Polaris only did that for COST!!!! have you ever seen how much those gaskets cost? If you really look you will see that polaris used them in 700/900/1050/1200'S. most problems came fron being inconsistant with the silicone(water leaks and water ingestion) I have bored and honed and measured many of cylinders. If you have a cylinder that is to tight to begin with you are gong to have problems no matter what. Polaris cylinders right from the factory I have seen them brand new measure as much as .0015" out of round and tapered. the torque is so little on the exhaust bolt that all you are doing is preloading the threads, it not like they are being tighten to 100 ft. lbs. I thought we had a thread about this once before? Can someone look for this?

If you guys would like I can measure a cylinder and take pictures?

I think if you ask randy he will tell you that he has built them with and without gaskets.

P.S. Factory pipe had exhaust gaskets in the 1050 kits from what I remember. I also remember that the gaskets from factory pipe were not even polaris factory gaskets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information