digger

1996 sltx 1050 still bogging

im guessing this is what i need .everything else is new..my polaris starts perfect runs up to about 2600rpm bog thru 40o0rpm if i gun it ill hit 58mph at 5900rpm..other wise it bogs in the middle unless i fludder the throttle..
    i have a new dealer rebuilt oem polaris 1050,rebuilt stock carbs,after market hot seat waterbox,new plugs and fuel
    Last edited by diggerbug777; 08-19-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: i got a cdi but it still has a bog

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Have you found the Service manuals?

Are you 100% certain the carbs are properly adjusted, and there are no other issues with the fuel system?

If your diagnosis determines that the CDI has failed, then you should install the Polaris Ignition System Update Kit 2873091

Who did the actual engine rebuild?

digger
    fuel system is fine.Rebuild was done by a polaris dealership in barrie ontario canada.I have the manual already.In sure the carbs are set up rite.

digger
    were can i buy this updated cdi you speak of

+1
    My experience has been ,if the ignition system has problems,it might start,won't rev very far.Usually will have a backfire somewhere. Usually will not have just a simple bog.

My friend and I have noticed a flat spot around 2500-3000rpm,when holding the throttle steady,otherwise both PWC run perfect.I think this is in the carb design.The fact that you can stab the throttle and bypass the problem(added fuel from the accelerator pump) makes me think it is a fuel problem.Have the carbs been inspected lately? Where the fuel lines ever replaced?

The other issue I think you have is only 5900rpm. It should turn 6500 or really close.Your MPH are pretty good,have you changed the impeller?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by diggerbug777 View Post
    I'm guessing this is what i need. everything else is new
    ...my Polaris starts perfect
    runs up to about 2600rpm bog thru 4000rpm
    if i gun it ill hit 58mph at 5900rpm
    ..other wise it bogs in the middle unless i fludder the throttle..
    i have a new dealer rebuilt oem Polaris 1050, rebuilt stock carbs, after market hot seat waterbox, new plugs and fuel
    ...Rebuild was done by a Polaris dealership in Barrie Ontario Canada.
    ...I'm sure the carbs are set up right.
    were can i buy this updated cdi you speak of
    I think the concern here is that the engine is recently rebuilt, but is not operating properly. The symptoms you describe are indicative of a fuel/carburetor problem, or an incorrectly rebuilt engine.

You say new dealer rebuilt OEM Polaris - do you mean the engine was actually rebuilt by the dealer using Polaris parts, or the dealer installed an engine that was rebuilt by another company, or the engine is an actual new Polaris engine?

The maximum RPM is low, the engine bogs from the mid-range up, and working the throttle has an effect. It might be CDI/stator, but it sounds like carb/tuning, or a rebuild problem

What spark plugs are installed?
    The spark plug wires might need attention if the ends have a poor connection to the plug boots.

What is the part number of the CDI you have in there right now?
    You may already have the update kit installed?

You can buy the Ignition System Update Kit from your Polaris dealer, or from one of the online OEM suppliers

What is the cylinder compression on your engine?

digger
    hey guys. The carbs and f pumps have been completely rebuilt by a polaris dealer using oem parts as well as the engine(new oem parts)No Mods Done.Stock everthing but a hotseat water box.the plugs are new resis type.the only thing that was not replaced was the reeds because they upon close inspection seemed fine.I have not changed the fuel lines or the Wires,,thax thinking back i believe 6500 rpm is were it tops out at 57-59mph,i aslo only weigh 260 lol

Hey diggererbug I just got my 2 ski's 2 year's ago and had to go through the fuel system's on them. I understand what you are saying about being done by a dealer but let's not forget Polaris stopped making PWC's a few year's ago and the likelihood of you having an experienced mechanic do your carb's is slim. Not to say they aren't good mech's but setting up the pop off pressure can be a little tricky. Also when i did my carb's I removed the fuel screw adjustment limiters and counted the factory setting. They were different from the manual. Reason being is when set up they are flow benched for optimum performance, and the manual will give you baseline settings. I set mine at the manual settings and had a simaler situation with the mid rev bog. I started easing out the high speed screws about 1/8 turn at a time till the hesitation was gone, then checked the piston tops. Now unfortunatly I know for a fact my coil is bad in my 96SL900 I checked it with an ohm meter. And for sure make sure and replace all your fuel hoses don't forget we are talking about a 13 year old ski it may look good on the outside but can be bad on the inside. This is just my 2 cent's and experience with the same problem. Good Luck!

my 1050 boggs out of the hole sounds like it is running on 2. if i hold it half throttle it will start to run on three . if i punch it it boggs if i play with the throttle it eventually runs good if i stop and take off again same thing i did the carbs i am a small engine mechanic by trade. i think it is the cdi what do you guys think and where can i find a cdi i dont want to spend a bunch of money on this thing does anyone have a used one

digger

still messing around

I got a new cdi.havent put i in.I replaced the lines,redid the plug wires adjust the low needles to factory.Then ran it..still a bog...Seems the cylinders feel hot to the touch..sometimes to hot to keep my hand on it...I took out the thermostat and tryed it..The ran slight warm.If the guys that redid my engine put the carbs back on in the wrong order,would that make this bog.I notice in the man, the jetting is different mag end ,cen,and pto .I havnt check that..

Thread Information