Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GIO question....again

I know this issue has been beaten with a stick, but still have questions. I have an '08 250X with 5 hours on it as of today. I checked the oil, with the engine block level, seemed a little high and smelled gassy(alot). I thought Kawi fixed this issue as opposed to the 07's. I called the
    dealer(s) around town regarding this problem and got the "oh, we've never seen that, you've been reading stuff on the internet right?" answers. I just want to know if there has been a definative fix to the problem(I wish I would have got the OCMS when it was still available) or if I'm just going to have to do alot of oil changes to prevent my engine from bombing out. Is the RD Kit a good option as well? I'm not all that mechanically inclined but have a feeling I will be pretty soon.

The 08's were improved slightly from the 07's. They removed the breather box where a lot of the gas blow by would condense and drain back into the oil pan but some 08's still get GIO. The only way to prevent it from getting in the oil is to block the drain from the catch can and manually empty it after each ride. You then also need to keep an eye on your oil level to ensure it doesn't go down as the catch can will collect some oil as well as condensed gas.
    You don't need the OCMS although it's easier with this kit. Simply block the drain and find a way of manually draining it or replace the drain line with a longer clear hose that you can put a loop in where the top of the loop is above the top of the catch can. That way the liquid will not run back into the crankcase and you can see how much is in the catch can as well as the type of fluid collected. You will still have to manually drain it.

A little help

Make sure you are unscrewing ur gas cap after u wash and store it. Break it in kinda hard if its new. Only put 4 qts of oil in it. Take a blade and scrape off half the rubber on ur dipstick for more accurate readings. Switch to 10/40 Amsiol synth. Change oil every 15 hrs..maybe 10 or 12 if riding hard. Check threads...you can replicate the OCMS yourself. Hope this helps

Your 08 is alot better than the 07's. It will still have gio more than likely though for the simple fact that the oil seperator drains into the oil pan. Your in luck owning an 08. For little to nothing you can mimic the ocms. Go to

http://www.docsblocks.com/products.asp?cat=17

order 1 AC0107

have a hole drilled 2 inches above bottom weld and have fitting welded in hole that was drilled in oil separator. That is the height you need but you will need to decide where (around) to allow a comfortable routing of the oil pan/bottom oil separator line to attach to it. Then get a clear hose that will fit the bottom factory fitting of the oil separator (rated for fuel/oil) and attach it to and run it (with out crimping it) up the side of the oil separator and then plug the end with a plug. You will be able to see the fuel level and remove plug in end of hose to drain it. If i confused you pm for pics and additional details.

David

KMAN,

Bottom hose is the drain?? Also, what are you doing w/ the original drain line?? Just pinch it and leave it in there?? Any pics wold help. Only 7 hrs on ski but I'm scared to death of GIO. Broke in kinda hard and did 1st oil at 5hrs. Switched to Amsoil synth and also releave gas pressure via gas cap through out my rides and when storing.

+1
    what some of us down under have done to replicate ocms. cut off the elbow on the bottom of the catch can and get it re-welded to the side of the can so as original drain hose to sump reaches it (at a guess around 1" up from the seam. at the same time get a aluminium block welded to the original drain position and tap a thread to accept a brass elbow. then attach a small ball valve so as to drain after each ride. pictures have all been posted before.

check this out its all here minus ball valve idea.

http://www.250xtech.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18

also when checking oil loosen the oil fill cap this will equalize the pressure when the stick is inserted. and do two checks turning the stick 180deg. as i get two different readings doing this.

relieving gas tank pressure will do nothing for GIO unless you have faulty injectors and or fuel pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin21 View Post
    Make sure you are unscrewing ur gas cap after u wash and store it. Break it in kinda hard if its new. Only put 4 qts of oil in it. Take a blade and scrape off half the rubber on ur dipstick for more accurate readings. Switch to 10/40 Amsiol synth. Change oil every 15 hrs..maybe 10 or 12 if riding hard. Check threads...you can replicate the OCMS yourself. Hope this helps
    Spin,

Nice concise info. Unscrewing the gas cap?? I must have missed that in the threads. Why do you do that?

I bought my new 07' about 2 months ago but still in the crate. I'll get it delivered in a couple of weeks for its maiden voyage. I think I'm going to go the route of breaking in hard.

Thanks for advice.

DMK,

Thanks! Not really sure how to explaine the gas cap suggestion as I am kinda new to this myself. Something to do w/ injectors I think but its in numerous threads about GIO. Takes 2 seconds to unsrew the cap so screw it...im gonna keep doing it. As for break in I would go kinda hard. Let it warm up for a few and just play around w/ it as if you were on a CC course. Hard on throttle for a few and off..cruise for a few and than zip it a few...etc..

Sold 13x 2008 250X last year.
    NONE of them had even slight GIO.There is mild gas smell but NO GIO.
    I am very familiar with GIO as my 07 was a nightmare.
    I think you dont have GIO you are just being too worried about it.
    Enjoy your ride

PS.BRAKE IT HARD

+1
    as said before the only way you can truely varify the above statement is if you block off the catch can drain. however It is a true statement but not correct all the time because some of us that have an '08 or changed to '08 breather system sometimes catch just oil and other times catch a mixture of fuel/oil/water depending on where and how the ski was ridden.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information