Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting it up for the First time

I have taken the engine out of my 2002 GTi (717cc) seadoo. Successfully fixed it and put it back in the seadoo and connected all the lines and tubes. I have poured oil into the tube leading to the rotary valve to give it some lube right away.
    Can any of you think of anything else that I should do before starting it for the first time. (I already started it for a second to make sure it would run but shut it off after just a second) Should I be caustious of anything in particulare?
    Oil - gas - lubricants - greeses ?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    make sure your oil cable is correctly adjusted. there are two marks that need to be lined up. make sure all hose clamps are tight.

Thanks Airborn for the advice.
    I am going to check all the tubes and hoses to make sure they're tight. As for the oil cable you speak of, what is that. I have a shop manual to look at, could you point me in the right direction so I can make sure I do what you say about the two marks lining up

+1
    That is the cable going from the carb throttle linkage to the lever on the oil pump. The oil pump is right under the carb.

The two marks are on the oil pump lever and the pump body itself. You will likely need a mirror and a flashlight to see the marks.

Set it (known as indexing) first, get it running and make any idle adjustments needed, then set it again.

Another note. Fill that hose going to the bottom of the cases as full as it will go. That is the oil bath for the rotary valve shaft. The oil does circulate through there (another hose comes out of it just under the exhaust manifold) but it is not pumped.

There is a clear hose coming out of the oil tank in the front that leads to a white filter (at least it looks like a filter) then proceeds to the engine. The line has oil in it leading to the filter but nothing in it after the filter. I took the hose off and poured a little down the empty side but is this good enough or should I make sure there is plenty of oil down that hose? I hope I'm being clear enough.
    And like you have advised me to do, I poured oil down the hose leading to the rotary valve but it only took 1/4 of a quart of oil for the oil to rise up to the top of the hose. I assume this is all that is suppose to happen?

+1
    That is good for the oil bath.

The hose with the (it is a) filter on it is the one to the oil pump. It is good that you put some oil down line of it (the arrow on the filter should be pointing towards the engine) but you will need to get the rest of that air out of it.

The good news is that it will generally bleed itself overnight via gravity. If need be, you can pull the hose at the inlet side of the filter and point it straight up. Pour oil in and it will fill on up and the air will be gone. Let the oil start to run out of the hose from the tank and slip it onto the filter. It is messy, but no air bubbles.

Do not try to run it any length of time with that air in that line. Also check the little injector lines off the pump for any air bubbles.

Thanks a ton!
    I spent the last hour or so looking up in my shop manual all the stuff you guys told me about and you are right.
    I'm going to check for the proper adjustments on the oil pump, bleed the oil system of air, and make sure all my lines are good and tight. I'll do it all right after I get out of school (Utah State University) and let you all know how it went.
    Feel free to give me any more advice. Thanks

+1
    If its going to be my personal engine I like to pour about 10 ml of oil into the bottom of the cases (both) and when the ski fires up it is a gradual process of starting as the oil 1) slows the combustion process down and 2) lubes all the bearings as it starts. Lots of smoke at first but it IMO is the best way.

I always hold the oil pump wide open by hand when it first cranks until it starts smoking like hell to bleed the last lines in the oil system. double check hose clamps, especially fuel lines. be sure to get the spring on oil pump cam seated and pre-loaded correctly.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    I always hold the oil pump wide open by hand when it first cranks until it starts smoking like hell to bleed the last lines in the oil system. double check hose clamps, especially fuel lines. be sure to get the spring on oil pump cam seated and pre-loaded correctly.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information