Flipping my XLT for hull work. Am i missing a step ?

So here is my plan, I need to do some hull work on my XLT1200 before I paint it. I have tried doing it on the trailer but itís gotten to be too much of a pain. I ordered a lifting strap and am going to lift it with my cherry picker. Then I plan on lowering to on a couple of old tires. After that I plan on rolling it over upside down onto a couple more tires to access the bottom. Is there anything else that I didnít do that I need to do to make sure I donít damage anything?

I have removed the hood, trim, handlebars, plastic pieces and seats etc. It is down to the hull only.

I plan on siphoning the oil and gas out to drain the tanks before I flip it. I will also take the battery out.

Do I need to remove anything else?
    Should I start the motor to run out any gas in the carbs?

I just donít want to hurt the ski. Thanks for any advise and I did search but came up rather empty. Nothing gave a sure answer for my question.

+1
    if you cant possibly remove the engine while flipped i would try blocking up the engine a little to remove some of the weight off the engine mounts while upside down just for peace of mind...

hope you going to do a build thread ???

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    Dude it's that engine upside down hanging off the mounts that would worry me. They're not meant to be pulled on for that long except for a little bit should you flip the waverunner when riding. You are looking at having the ski flipped upside down for more than 48 hours for work, paint & drying period. Do some research before you do the flip.

Smile

the mounts are only glued together with polyurethane adhesive dont do it without pulling engine,get a lifting harness that catches under each rail then hang it on picker when working on it or letting it dry.jmho>Marvin

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    There u go, that's what i'm taling about.

Well, thats not what i wanted to hear!!!! lol. As far as lifting the ski i have one of the under rail slings on the way in the mail right now so that wont be an issue. I suppose i could just prop the ski over on its side a bit to do the work on the hull. I just want to repair all the beaching damage from the previous owner. I honestly wanted nothing to do with this project but each time i go under the ski i find a new deep scratch that makes me cringe. I'm going to look into removing the motor now. If it seems like too much then i will build a stand for the ski that will support the weight evenly between the motor and body.

build log ? ugh. I'm horrible with making logs but i guess i can snap some pictures. Most of the work is done at this point, i just need to get tothe stuff thats too close to the trailer.

Thread Information