Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fiberglass repair help on XPL bottom

I did a search, but didn't find what i was looking for. Here is a pic of the bottom of one of my xpl hulls. Looking at the pic, you can see it must be leaking water, and i want to repair it. I don't care what it looks like being on the bottom, just do not want it to leak. I'd really like to do fix it without having to flip it over.Thanks

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Get a gel coat repair kit from a boating supply, that has mixable colors. Mix up some and make it just a little bit thicker than the original gel coat, so when you sand it down it will be perfectly smooth. There should be clear cellophane pieces to place against the new stuff to help it cure.

I hit a submerged piece of steel in Savannah last year and had to do the same thing. It's not that bad. Dry it out good with a heat gun first.

+1
    or use some hairdryers at different angles, run them overnight at least.

TLR

+1
    Lay the ski on a mat and tip it up on its side onto a side bumper and support it with a piece of timber jammed against something solid. Trying to fibreglass upside down is very difficult even for the resin boys.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Get a gel coat repair kit from a boating supply, that has mixable colors. Mix up some and make it just a little bit thicker than the original gel coat, so when you sand it down it will be perfectly smooth. There should be clear cellophane pieces to place against the new stuff to help it cure.

I hit a submerged piece of steel in Savannah last year and had to do the same thing. It's not that bad. Dry it out good with a heat gun first.
    Can you explain a little better? Does the repair kit need to be sprayed on? Can i do it with the ski right side up? Sorry, just new at some of this. Thanks

+1
    Honestly, with the damage you've got, I'd make sure you don't need to do a little structural repair before just troweling on some gel paste. As stated, make sure the area is absolutely dry. Poke around the damaged area and make sure you don't have a nice big crack. Has water been dripping out of the damaged area, or is it just wet from being in the water? How long does it stay wet after it's put on the trailer?

+1
    My opinion would be to use West Systems epoxy resin. Very strong and structrual.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha Performance View Post
    Can you explain a little better? Does the repair kit need to be sprayed on? Can i do it with the ski right side up? Sorry, just new at some of this. Thanks
    No, you mix it like fiberglass resin and apply with a plastic bondo knife.

I had no problems doing mine upside-down, and I am no pro.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    No, you mix it like fiberglass resin and apply with a plastic bondo knife.

I had no problems doing mine upside-down, and I am no pro.
    Where can i get the kit you are referring to?

Its been sitting on a stand now for 6 months while doing my project. Water never dripped out, but it did seep.

+1
    Don't use epoxy when you will be finishing with polyester (gel coat). You may get OK results but it's not a recommended substrate.

Use these guys, they have the best prices and selection with excellent service.

http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information