1995 SL750 oil injector pump

I have one more question about my 1995 SL 750. I know alot of people recommend blocking off the oil injector pump, but I want to make sure its working before I decide what action to take.

While its running at idle, I see it pump little blobs of oil out of the end of the tube into the intake manifold and the oil runs down the carburator throat. Does this mean the oil injector pump is working correctly? To me it seems like it would take a long time period before the oil actually reaches where it can mix with the gas.

I haven't tried to run it above idle yet as I was breaking in the topend. I've only bleeped the throttle a couple of times and I mixed my 2 stroke oil with my gas just to make sure its getting proper lubrication.

Thanks,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The oil doesn't need to mix with the gas. It just needs to work its way into the crank case, where it gets slung around and coats the roller bearings and cylinder walls.

As the engine revs up, the speed of the air flow increases, and thereby spreads the oil faster.

What break-in method are you using?

Normally, extra oil would be pre-mixed into the gas tank for the first tank or two during top-end break-in. This ensures adequate lubrication during break-in.

You do not want to idle excessively during break-in. It is important to ramp up and cycle the engine power, in the water, during break-in, along with cool down periods.

Thanks for your help.

During the first 5 mins, I varied the speed as I had it hooked up to the garden hose.

I orderd a blockoff plate and will be removing the oil injector pump.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM250rm View Post
    ...During the first 5 mins, I varied the speed as I had it hooked up to the garden hose...
    5 minutes is too long on the hose.

The jet pump bearings and seals are not cooled when the engine is run out of the water, so the maximum time is two minutes.

Revving the engine without water load on the jet pump does not help break-in. Proper piston ring break-in requires load on the engine, which requires riding it on the water.

Thread Information