Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 xp super hot pump shaft? and very odd vibration.....

ski has been out of water for about 6 months now. due to lack of riding time. ski ran perfect. i have been doing some minor work to it to get her cleaned up and throwing sone aftermarket odds and ends on her. no engine mods, no pump mods, just steering and apperence mods. today i fired her up on the hose, and started hearing some very loud humming/vibrations comming from the back end. its the coupler inside the hull thats on the shaft. this one looks to have been replaced with a newer unit. its the only thing in the ski that is billet aluminum. there is a rubber boot right behind this piece, it looks a litle worn, and where the boot is attached, this is where the noise is comming from. it also got SUPER SUPER hot in only a few min. anybody know whats going on here ? is this normal ? i didnt hear this noise till today. i have has the ski fired about ten times or so in the last couple weeks, always on the hose by the way.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    did you put water on the carbon ring when its running? you may be smoking the carbon ring and making it squeel...but the drive shaft is hot? there is nothing to make it hot.

am i supposed to ? i have never put water on there before. did i do something wrong ? how do i check the carbon ring for damage ? and what might i do in the future to prevent this from happening ?

i just looked at it and i think i shut it off before anything went really wrong. does this get oiled or lubed in any way ?

+1
    yea you need to put a little water on it when you run it on the hose to keep ot from getting hot. you can check to see if you wore off too much by taking it for a quick ride and see if you have excess water in the hull.

in the future put a little running water on it if you run it on the hose for over a minute i would add water.

no lube..when its in the water, the water acts as a lube. the only lube that is there is a grease zerk on the PTO.

now that I think about it...when was the last time you changed your pump oil? you may have a bad bearing

+1
    The water doesn't act as a lube, it cools the thru hull parts when riding via water in the pump tunnel. Airborne does have a point the oil & bearings in the actuall pump may be bad or it needs an pump oil change.

TLR

pump oil huh? hmm never done that before. i'm guessing its oil from 1996. doubt the last owner changed it.

+1
    yep that may be it. I bet there is nothing in it but a couple drops. pull the reduction nozzle ans steering nozzle in one piece and you will see the cone you need to remove in the center of the pump. its three alan screws. if its making noises when you turn it by hand pull the rest and find a prop tool to remove the prop. If you have a local shop, you might be able to get it done for free if you walk in there with the pump in hand...at least I did.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    I would think the pto transfers heat to the driveshaft. You need to check the oil in the pump, i have seen were people have run them with either a bad o-ring seal and lost oil or no oil at all. Over time the heat will melt the cone right off and then you will need to buy more parts. I think a new pump rebuild kit is like 50 bucks you need a press to take out the bearings and install new ones.

You are not supposed to run it for more than 5 minutes on the hose out of water because there is nothing to cool the drive shaft seals and pump seals. Probably nothing to worry about if it works good on water.

+1
    You don't need a press to take out and install new pump bearings. seadoo makes a tool for this or use a bearing puller.

TLR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information