97 SLT700 engine alignment

I need to ensure my engine is aligned with my pump/impeller. I understand there is a special tool to do this, and unfortunatley, I have no access to one.

My question is, can I do the alignment manually by ensuring I have an equal measurement all around the shaft in relation to the pump mount? Obviously, this would be more time consuming, and I'm ok with that if I can expect an acceptable result.

I have an old drive shaft on hand. Can I fashion an alignment tool from that?

Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A drive shaft is too short to check alignment.

Do you have access to a machine shop that can turn a steel rod to the required precision dimensions?

My driveshaft splines were spun out at the impeller end. From what I've read, this issue is probably not engine alignment, rather an issue with how the pump is attached to the hull. One of the four bolts were broken, so I'm thinking that may have been a problem. Also, there was a bump in my wear ring, causing some resistance; that's probably the most likely cause. So, the more I consider this, the more I'm thinking engine alignment is proabably not the source of this.

If I do require engine shims, can I just use some metal stock, or is there an official polaris part# I should opt for.

Thanks for your help.

I have one for sale, pm me if you are intrested. have
    I have shims to I will include with the purchase of the tool.

I can ship out tomorrow.

Tim

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj00 View Post
    My driveshaft splines were spun out at the impeller end. From what I've read, this issue is probably not engine alignment, rather an issue with how the pump is attached to the hull. One of the four bolts were broken, so I'm thinking that may have been a problem. Also, there was a bump in my wear ring, causing some resistance; that's probably the most likely cause. So, the more I consider this, the more I'm thinking engine alignment is probably not the source of this.

If I do require engine shims, can I just use some metal stock, or is there an official Polaris part# I should opt for...
    Shims are typically 1/32" thick, cut from dense plastic or non-rusting metal.

They do need to fit around the mounting studs, so they are often made with a slot to allow them to slide in under the engine mount.

When you re-assemble the jet pump, be sure there are no corrosion, bumps or nicks in the mating surfaces of the pump sections, that would prevent each section from fully mating with the next.

Clean out the threads in the pump base with a tap before putting the bolts in. I would clean the bolt threads too, and make sure the bolts are not bent.

Thread Information