Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Lightbulb Installing AUDIO (speakers/amp) on ski

My friend Danny & I were talking about installing a couple speakers on our XLT's wired to an amp, then wire the amp to an MP3 player that we can remove from the ski. We both have similar ideas from the MP3 player, the amp & installing an extra bettery in the front of the hull but he wants hide away speakers inside his front lid so you can pop it open when you beach the waverunner while I would like to have some speakers that are not hidden that I can listen to while riding.
    Does anyone have any ideas on these set ups or any set ups for that matter? Has anyone does this before?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by PWCManiac; 04-24-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added more info

I've actually got the same idea in progress right now. The way I am doing it is this:
    Two 4 or 5 inch flush mounted speakers ordered online, the cheapest amp you can find, and a cord to plug your iPod into it. I am going to flush mount the speakers closer to the front of the ski where there is room, if I find a picture I can show you where I am putting mine... Then my buddy and I are going to seal the amp, and I am going to mount it in the front storage bin in place of the fire extinguisher, run the Ipod adapter through a small hole in the bin, and under and up into the glove box so I can plug into my iPod that will be in a dry pack. For the speakers, I am going to flush mount them, seal with 5200, and then inside the ski, I am going to fit a tupperware bowl behind in that is about the diameter of the hole or a little bigger, and seal that with 5200, run the speaker wires through a tiny hole in the tupperware that will also be filled with 5200. This way, even if the speakers came out (Or got stolen) it would still be sealed/water tight, water wouldn't be able to enter the hull there. I planned on mounting a second battery in the back of the ski next to the current battery, and possibly a battery switch. Either way, I will have the one main battery for the ski to start the motor and gauge cluster, then I will have the auxillary battery to run the stereo, bilge pump, and for back up just in case.
    I've got everything scoped out, planned and ready to set in action, just waiting for the speakers before I start cutting, and I want to have my motor fully assembled and ready to drop in the hull before I start another project. When done, it should be pretty sweet...There are also some cheap tuner/speaker kits that I was looking at, I might just mount a very basic am/fm tuner from west marine instead of the amp, and run the iPod through that...

Quote Originally Posted by The other Alex View Post
    inside the ski, I am going to fit a tupperware bowl behind in that is about the diameter of the hole or a little bigger, and seal that with 5200, run the speaker wires through a tiny hole in the tupperware that will also be filled with 5200. This way, even if the speakers came out (Or got stolen) it would still be sealed/water tight, water wouldn't be able to enter the hull there.
    Dude, that quoted statement above??? Nothing but SWEET! I would've never thought of the tupperware. I plan on using a small plano case that I'll drill to the front of the hull. Inside that case I will put the amp. I'll make some small holes for the wiring to the speakers & to the MP3. That's about it. Now here's where I get to start thinking a bit, to drill the holes I may need to do it from the inside. I know you have an XL hull by the picture I see on your avatar (by the way how's ur back?) but I don't know what engine you have, if it's the 1200 like mine, I may have to take apart the exhaust to reach a clean area to drill. Below is a picture of where I plan on drilling... another option is to use a speaker in a box on a bracket on each side of the hull & only drill small holes for srews. I've seen that setup before online, don't remember where.

I'm a n00b to skis and the sport but i do have 20 years in the audio field. I would think the reason the battery on the XLT is so far back is to keep it as far as they can from the fuel tank. Wouldnt you be putting yourself in danger by placing an amp in the front compartment ? Unless I'm missing something ?

Quote Originally Posted by richdash View Post
    the reason the battery on the XLT is so far back is to keep it as far as they can from the fuel tank. Wouldnt you be putting yourself in danger by placing an amp in the front compartment ?
    All an amp does is power invert. Not too many volts going through there. Especially if it's inside a box, not much more risk than the guage cluster or all the wiring running right above the tank.

Duppy no who fi frighten, Make Dem Try Good2Go16's Avatar
    Why dont you guys just use marine components?

Quote Originally Posted by Good2Go16 View Post
    Why dont you guys just use marine components?

Waaayyyy too expensive, I've seen marine audio systems for over $700.00. However the speakers will obviously have to be marine waterproof speakers. We're trying to save a couple bucks where we can though.

we are going to use marine components. im going to buy a marine amp and i already have 2 clarion marine speakers

Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post
    Waaayyyy too expensive, I've seen marine audio systems for over $700.00. However the speakers will obviously have to be marine waterproof speakers. We're trying to save a couple bucks where we can though.
    ok well atleast im going to buy a marine amp lol

Duppy no who fi frighten, Make Dem Try Good2Go16's Avatar
    OK so its a budget build then, cool. Good luck with it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information