Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Driving Position

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	driving position.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	127849  

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    thats why I disabled my airbags

+1
    Very interesting.

... or just don't run into things...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    ... or just don't run into things...
    And don't have things run into you...

Overall, I think air-bags do reduce fatalities in otherwise high-risk-of-death impacts.

I also think the name 'air-bag' is terrible. These things are not filled with air, ever. They are blasted into position with the gases from small explosive charges, and they detonate to deploy.
    "...the entire deployment and inflation process is about 0.05 seconds..."

While they are inflated, they are quite hard. Not at all like a pillow.

Some vehicles have so many air bags, that the system is designed to never fire them all together. If it did, the sudden air pressure rise inside the car could rise so high that it would injure the occupants.

The downside is that modern vehicles can have 10 or so of these explosive devices arrayed around the interior. To minimize injury risk should a collision (or unexpected airbag firing) occur, you must keep body parts away from the places the airbag modules are mounted.

That isn't easy when they are in the dash, the door, the side of the seats, the headliner, the steering wheel, etc. No leaning against the door, or feet on the dash.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    And don't have things run into you...

Overall, I think air-bags do reduce fatalities in otherwise high-risk-of-death impacts.

I also think the name 'air-bag' is terrible. These things are not filled with air, ever. They are blasted into position with the gases from small explosive charges, and they detonate to deploy.
    "...the entire deployment and inflation process is about 0.05 seconds..."

While they are inflated, they are quite hard. Not at all like a pillow.

Some vehicles have so many air bags, that the system is designed to never fire them all together. If it did, the sudden air pressure rise inside the car could rise so high that it would injure the occupants.

The downside is that modern vehicles can have 10 or so of these explosive devices arrayed around the interior. To minimize injury risk should a collision (or unexpected airbag firing) occur, you must keep body parts away from the places the airbag modules are mounted.

That isn't easy when they are in the dash, the door, the side of the seats, the headliner, the steering wheel, etc. No leaning against the door, or feet on the dash.
    I hate air bags they hurt more people then they protect. ive seen ALOT of small accident where the occupants where only hurt because of the air bags.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    I hate air bags they hurt more people then they protect...
    Air bags are not just about hurt - they are more about death vs. non-death, and major body damage vs. moderate body damage.

They protect most people, for the most part, during high impact collisions. The air bag promise is not that you will walk away unhurt. The promise is that there is a much greater chance you will not die. And if you live, recovery will often be less difficult than it would have been otherwise.

This is an extension of the seat belt promise. Wearing your seat belt properly will reduce the likelihood and severity injuries, and increase survivability. The degree to which this is true depends on the degree and type of impact.

What I do not like is the regulations which require air bags to be engineered to protect a non-seat belted person, to the overall detriment of a seat belted occupant in another car of the same model. These regulations are mostly US defined, and they mean the air bags in many cars may hit harder than they need to, just in case someone happens to not be wearing my seat belt correctly.

Since seat belt usage rates where I live are very high, this situation imperils the majority to a greater extent than necessary.

My personal opinion is that air bags should default to not operate unless that seat belt is in use. This would encourage seat belt use, and allow the air bag designers to more carefully calibrate the air bag force and deployment to match a seat belt restrained person, thereby reducing unnecessary air bag forces and reducing air bag injury rates.

They contain Soidum Azide. It's a lot of fun to play with in a chemistry lab if you've ever had the chance. All it takes is one quick jolt from a hammer or static charge and it causes a violent redox reaction (explosion).

Was a bit of a joke in regards to the driving hand position. If you drive a manual, you typically have one hand on the wheel during moments. I just don't like big brother telling me how to do things.

+1

Exclamation

http://www.teendriving.com/

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/womenf...8/article.html

http://travelwithkids.about.com/cs/c...eendriving.htm

More information I shared with my daughter. Stuff I pretty much already told her, but a refresher. You can never be too safe when you have a loved one in the car, especially your child.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Air bags are not just about hurt - they are more about death vs. non-death, and major body damage vs. moderate body damage.

They protect most people, for the most part, during high impact collisions. The air bag promise is not that you will walk away unhurt. The promise is that there is a much greater chance you will not die. And if you live, recovery will often be less difficult than it would have been otherwise.

This is an extension of the seat belt promise. Wearing your seat belt properly will reduce the likelihood and severity injuries, and increase survivability. The degree to which this is true depends on the degree and type of impact.

What I do not like is the regulations which require air bags to be engineered to protect a non-seat belted person, to the overall detriment of a seat belted occupant in another car of the same model. These regulations are mostly US defined, and they mean the air bags in many cars may hit harder than they need to, just in case someone happens to not be wearing my seat belt correctly.

Since seat belt usage rates where I live are very high, this situation imperils the majority to a greater extent than necessary.

My personal opinion is that air bags should default to not operate unless that seat belt is in use. This would encourage seat belt use, and allow the air bag designers to more carefully calibrate the air bag force and deployment to match a seat belt restrained person, thereby reducing unnecessary air bag forces and reducing air bag injury rates.
    I know there made to "save" lives but they have also killed alot of people aswell, If they cant 100% make airbags safe to "everyone" then they shouldnt use them. what cars need are better restraint systems not more airbags stuff inside a vehicle. I fix hit vehicles and ive seen cars with almost no damage and the bags were off but ive also seen cars with the engine into the fire wall and the bags are good, ive also seen them go off at random so in MY opinion there not all there cracked up to be. Look at rally cars they roll thoughs off cliff and walk away and they have no air bags. If they truly what to save lives they will redesign the restraint systems in cars.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information