Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Bilge Pumps saves T-X from sinking - Carbon Ring Toast?

Only 5 hours on new T-X, after warm up period started normal riding but noticed unusual cavitation on hole shot. Stopped in a cove, noticed rear end riding low, getting that "sinking feeling" in my gut? YEP, turned on bilge pump and it ran for several minutes. Went staight back to load T-X on trailer. After Bilge pump shut off while riding back to dock, noticed some cavitation, only going 35 mph (sucking air from hull into pump tunnel??). Once loaded on trailer, LOTS and LOTS of water pouring out of intake-shaft area. Sounds like Carbon Seal or Thru Hull Seal to me!

At home, I took off grate and all hoses to inspect Carbon Ring area. To my HORROR, I now have numerous hairline stress cracks in the top of the tunnel GEL coat! FFFUUUU.....KKKKKK.... I have NO fiberglass cracks on the engine bay side of the tunnel. See picture.

The shaft boot looks normal to me. The carbon ring "appears" to be normal, but I can easily move it up/down/left/right. Is this abnormal??

1. Does the carbon ring just REST up against the shaft? Other than the hose clamp around it, it is easy to move fore and aft, left and right. Is this normal or AFU? What keeps the carbon ring firmly up against the shaft?

2. Does the Thru- Hull fitting have a seal or bearing in it? This is the part that has the rear clamp around the rubber boot.

3. Obviously the carbon seal is allowing water into the hull, and then while riding back to dock with bilge pump running, I was sucking air into the tunnel, causing the cavitation. Did all of this cause the stress fractures in the tunnel gel coat? Or do I have something else going on?

I thank GOD I installed that bilge pump, it kept my ski from being a fish house on the bottom of the lake! But, I'm REALLY pissed off about this!

ANY ADVICE is welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cracks1.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	262.0 KB 
ID:	127911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cracks2.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	127912  
    Last edited by jpt7779; 04-28-2009 at 08:09 AM.

cracked tunnel and leaking seal
    wouldn't have sucked up a ski rope lately would you?

Sorry about the tunnel, but you can get a skat drive shaft seal from Jerry's store. It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    +2 yes thats what can happen if you ingest a ski rope, dockline.. or something else similar.. I cant belive the hairline cracking just appeared there in urs! after all the hard hitting waves my TX been thru it looks perfect in the pump tunnel maybe im lucky!

+1
    Spoke with JT....he didn't say he sucked up a rope or anything. Any other ideas why the carbon seal goes bad.

He did mention something about RCH.......but I doubt it would cause this problem.

I hope you get it worked out.... wrong time of the year to go down with failure like that!

x2 on the bearing carrier! I got one for each of my skis... and had them on my old 2 strokes....

funny thing.. I actually flooded my GSX 110% in the middle of the March water. I was totally sunk. the carrier popped out of thru hull rubber connector!

Thank god for my 4mm wet suite and the fisherman that were near buy...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    Not a chance! I keep this TX in superb condition & take care of everything I own. I need answers to my questions!

+1
    Sorry this happened, I suspect the problem might be related to the installation of the Solas impeller cone but I could be wrong. Last year we had several members who almost lost their X models after flooding related to the seal, I believe the common thread in those cases was the nose cone was somehow pushing up the shaft and causing the seal to break, please understand I am going off memory here but if you do a search on sinking skis or solas cone maybe you will come up with something...

I'm really not sure about your cracked tunnel, as I recall that was never mentioned in the other cases, just basically a major caution regarding the installation of the Solas cone, probably should have been a sticky, but I guess there were not enough of these cases to warrant it, anyway hope this helps and hope you get it resolved...

+1
    Found it...
    here's one of the threads I was thinking about, if you read the entire thread there is mention of the nose cone issue and tunnel cracking, see here and note post no. 12:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...olas+nose+cone

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    guys i have been through this before with a buddies ski.

the problem is not the carbon ring itself, its the Nose cone...

almost every solas prop i've seen installed, the nose cone ends up pushing the driveshaft forward creating a gap between the carbon ring and the metal flange on the shaft....throw that nose cone out! problem solved, BET!!!!
    The only other thing I can think of is broken motor mounts, but this would be unlikely unless you have been catching some big air, in other words jumping serious waves with your heavy 4 stroke pwc.

I noticed this yesterday with my prop. I had the driveshaft out of the ski and was checking the splines on the shaft and the prop. Couldnt push the driveshaft in the prop all the way because an air pocket. I could force the driveshaft in more, but the air pressure would force it back out. I can only imagine that when the pump is installed like this that it is really putting a lot of pressure on drivehaft and forcing it into the PTO. I'm thinking about drilling pressure relief holes in the Solas cone. Has anyone tried this? I don't want to pull the cone as I have heard doing this causes cavitation issues.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information