Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insulation - What not -What to - What with

I figure I'd try to get the insulation areas figured out.

I just noticed that the gas line in the front compartment (next to my air intake) is HOT!!!

Gas line I think needs reflective insulation.

So far it looks like IC tube needs heat out. It could usecopper tape or tubed water cooling, and not reflective insulation.

Intercooler needs ?

Exhaust and Waterbox needs header exhaust wrap to keep heat in.

Air Intake needs reflective insulation.

Gas tank need reflective sheet to keep gas from heating up and acting as a heating agent ?

How about the tubes going to the cooling fluid ? They get HOT!
    Would heat need to stay in or is that tube hot from absorbed heat and need reflective ?

I'm going to insulate as much as I can and then make a contraption to let heat escape. I'm thinking 2 exhaust tubes going out the side from the back and having fans in them.

+1
    Just fill the entire engine compartment with dry ice...cool everything down with no insulation needed. Of course the ski won't run once it gets a deep breath of the CO2 given off by the "melting" dry ice !!!

Richard

dear god no dry ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    take dry ice and just add water and inclose it,guess what happens.
    BOOM and death

+1
    I think you are thinking too much into this insulation thing although insulating the intercooler and intercooler to throttle body pipe should help.

I agree with Jerry on this. I think the only gain we have made on the insulating was to insulate the tube from intercooler to throttle body it retains the cool air and keeps the hot air out.Really seemed to help mine. I also insulated my intercooler.Now if we can come up with a way to cool the air coming out of the supercharger to the intercooler we could probably see some gains.It is around 200 degrees coming out and going to intercooler.

+1
    water jacketing will help cool the air coming out of teh charger, i should have a set of pipes this week, ill take lots of pics, and glen at ppg should have some mass produced shortly, he said he tested a set and it lowered output temps from the IC 17 degrees....it doesnt sound like alot but it will be a difference you can feel for sure, the pipes i have being made should yield the same results, im using the same materials as glen is, the only way to see any type of gain by coling the fuel is to supercool it through some type of ac system like some german cars do, insulation wont really help, and when teh fuel atomizes it is cooler than the fuel in the line, teh smaller orafice creates a temp drop as it goes through the injector, getting cooler into the boat will help more than anything.........jerry how did your insulated pipes do?, i am thinking about insulating my riva like you did, you used the exact same stuff i did, lemme know, im out to teh lake for the day, im sure the 80% humidity and 95+ temps will make my ski run like a turd, i topped out at 75 with an empty tank, i was about 150 rpm down from last week

hmm, A.C. unit for cooling fuel, I'll have to think about that one. If we were really sneaky, we could make the fuel system into a pseudo A.C.

as the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel lines, the temp of the fuel is raised. as you relieve the pressure of the fuel line (aka injector spraying fuel) the temp of the fuel is lowered. basically the same concept as an ac except without condenser unit , so not nearly as efficient. To get it to work really well with noticeable results, I would imagine we would need a heat exchange that could use an open circuit to cool the fuel. We would have to boost up the fuel pressure considerably (at least double would be my guess), and place the fuel cooler somewhere in the pressurized system as close to the injectors as possible.

So the basic concept is the same as an AC unit. Fuel pump pressurizes the system, which raises the temperature of the fuel, cooler cools the hot pressurized fuel back near lake temp, then when the injectors spray the mist relieving the pressure, the fuel temp drops significantly below where we originally began (probably just as cold as a cool can).

best of all, it's free power! lol

looks good in theory anyway.

+1
    ya.....just let me know when you get that one figured out and ill get one too haha

LOL,

The idea's come easily! Implementing them is another story!

+1
    The solution to many a problem started as someones dreams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information