Polaris Genesis 2002 Ficht -LOW Voltage to Injectors - EDIT CHECK OUT THE PROBLEM

Hi,

I am from NSW, Australia. Have had my Polaris Genesis for a while now and have loved it will it has been working although have struck a few problems.

Originally the engine was firing on 2 Cylinders due to the TPS being "stuck open" and telling the engine that the throttle was constantly open hence a cylinder fouled up. I have now bought a new TPS and this problem has been fixed although another, EVEN worse problem has occured.

Before I could still use the ski but now it doesn't even start. I have read through the forums for hours and have checked everything such as fuel pressure and spark. Everything is fine! But....

The voltage supplied to the injectors is less than 20 volts when cranking which is why it isn't working but what has caused this?

When I disconnect an injector the engine has more hope when cranking and tries to start. This is because the 2 surving injectors reach roughly 15V but still not enough to start.

So my main question is what can cause the low volts to be supplied to the injectors.

THANKS so much I love this community hopefully you can help me get back out onto the water with the ski and not let down my family next time I'm out on the water about to take my sons water skiing for their first time
    Last edited by stoj19; 04-30-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Click here for the Polaris Service Manuals.

Either the 45 volt power section of the EMM has failed, or one or more of the stator coils has failed.

You can check the stator coils using the procedure outlined in the manual to check for ohms, and AC cranking volts.

If you can borrow another Ficht EMM from any model of fuel injected Polaris, you can swap two of the three connectors, and if the engine now starts and runs, it will confirm the EMM is the problem.

There is a US company (DFI Technologies) that repairs these EMM, or you can have a local electronics shop have a look.

The covers on the EMM are removable. If you see a burned spot under the gel sealant inside, that is an indicator. Not all failures show up as burned components.

Thanks for your help!

I found out the problem. You will never guess what happened

Let me give you a clue, the stator was short circuited.

Took the flywheel out and one of the magnets had sheared into 2 pieces.

That wasn't the problem, the problem was that it had scratched/cut and pushed the laminated metal on top of the coil of the stator onto the coil and cause a short.

The actual coils of wire were fine once I pulled the metal away from it and the stator now has no short. So all i need is a new flywheel/magnet.

I was thinking of putting the flywheel back on but could possibly be way out of balance.

What do you guys reckon? Heard of this problem before?

Cheers

+1
    Quite common to have this happen .Need the updated flywheel with the 12 magnets .The 6 magnet style seem to fail alot ,cast is very hard to get all the oils out of and it also exspands more than steel ,so when they glue it it seems to come undone as the magnets move about .Have had 2 magnets join together without causing damage and had many just desintegrate .I would change the stator at the same time as they break wires at ease ,Might be ok now but the varnish /glue cracks around the wires and corrosion starts .It will let you down

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    I agree with Bernie. The newer part number 12-magnet flywheel, along with an undamaged new/used replacement stator, is the path to reliability.

Also have a look here for a common fuel pump failure. If you are going to have the fuel tank shifted forward while you work on the flywheel/stator, you might as well upgrade the pressure regulator mounting inside the fuel pump at the same time.

Thanks, where about can I source this newer style 12 magnet flywheel? ]

Cheers

Just wondering where I can source this 12 magnet flywheel Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoj19 View Post
    Just wondering where I can source this 12 magnet flywheel Thanks
    If you order a new 4010168 flywheel from a Polaris OEM parts supplier, I think you should get the newer version.
    Babbits sells it for $240 ...

Randy at Watcon might be able to source one.

It is not clear to me that the newer 1165cc 12-magnet Ficht flywheel has a different part number from the original 4010168, unless it is actually the MSX 140 flywheel 4010646

Bernie might know the answer to that question

+1
    You two guys should compare notes

notes

i think i found the twin to my genesis

Thread Information