Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this Wear Ring Stuffed? 99 XPL

Hi all,

Pulled the pump on my 2nd hand 99 xpl just then as some times while riding it revs hard before it hooks up and starts mooving along.

To me it looks rooted as the blades are more than 1mm from the wearing at the edge of most of fins at their furthest point.

See here:

Also lucky i pulled the pump the seal on the pump where the drive shaft comes in was folded over! check here:

what should i do about this? just clean out the splines and regrease and try and straighten the seal as well as i can?

Also its a PLASTIC pump and I cant see any screws holding in the wear ring. So if i do buy one do you think Ill get away without pulling the impeller and just chucking it in the freezer to remove and install the new one?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

+1
    Are the stator vanes behind the prop plastic or bronze?

ALL plastic pumps had screws. There are two under the bailer tube extensions (that piece just slides out) and two on the bottom.

Just order a new impeller boot. They do not cost too much. Even with a good boot, it will get water in there. Do not put too much grease in the impeller splines or you will catch hell bolting the pump back on as it will hydrolock.

If you have +1mm clearence on the ring you need a new one. The prop does not seem to be too bad.

The veins...? Guessing thiers are the weird fin looking things on the other side of the impeller that dont move? If so they are BRONZE.

Ok ill order a wear ring and a impeller boot. Will i need any special tools to do the swap aka a impeller puller or will i get away without it?

Will look for the screws again tomorrow.

Cheers,

Chris

+1
    The stator vanes are what makes it a bronze or plastic pump. That is a bronze pump and likely the original.

You will probably not find any screws as they normally do not have them (though mine did, which may have been added after the fact). Putting the screws in it may be something to consider.

You may have to pull the prop to get that ring out. Does it feel loose at all to you right now? You may also try to tap it out from behind. This will not work on a 140mm pump but the 155s do not hold like that so it may. Then there is the freezer, of course.

You can not remove the prop without the tool. It is a little socket with splines on it. The dealer may let you borrow one (mine has before) but they are not all that high and are a good investment if you want to keep the ski and turn your own wrenches.

Make sure you have the little plastic shield on your impeller boot. If not, get a new one. You will want to order number 2 and 26 on the diagram. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=64&B=14

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    You may also try to tap it out from behind.

Did I really say that?

That is like base package.

I have she same bronze pump, no screws, and I found the rings loose and signs that they were spinning. You may find that yours are glued in place and half to be sawed out.

Service manual calls for gluing new ring back in but instead I added screws just as the newer plastic pumps have to make replacement easier. Two on top and two on opposite side. Look at the parts diagrams and you will see where. I used small stainless wood screws that thread into the ring.

Also on that pump, if it's like mine, you won't have a pump seal gasket nor will the one for newer models fit. I tried. Use a need of silicone seal around edge of ring to prevent cavitation. Yours may have a rubber seal?

+1
    '99 had the rubber seal on the front of the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoodude View Post
    instead I added screws just as the newer plastic pumps have to make replacement easier. Two on top and two on opposite side. Look at the parts diagrams and you will see where. I used small stainless wood screws that thread into the ring.
    Can I have some pics of this setup please mate?

So at the moment im ordering a wear ring, impeller seal and impeller ring? And maybe an impeller removal tool?

Picts won't show anything with pumps installed. I put two on top and two on bottom about an inch back from pump mount side as they are in the parts diagrams for newer year models. The screws for those pumps won't work because it's a different design, I used stainless wood screws that thread into a pilot hole I drilled thru the pump housing and ring. Use a drill size of screw thru housing and smaller thru ring so the screw will thread into ring.

Do you guys think ill need the imeller tool or not? Im ordering bits tomorrow!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information