2000 virage will only start when solenoid crossed

Hi,

I have the service manual andhave tried the various checks as recommended but can't seem to locate the problem. I am far from being a mechanic but can use a tester etc.
    Here's what I have done/checked:

1) will do nothing if I press start.
    2) will turnover(and start) if I jump(cross)the solenoid.
    3) I checked the start switch - ok
    4) I checked the lanyard switch - ok
    5) I checked the cricuit breaker (both sides) -ok
    6) I checked the main relay ok - has power both sides

Not sure how to check the two harness wires (yellow/red, black/whit) that connect to the solenoid and don't really know what they do?

Could there be a problem with the CDI or some other part?

I have tried to follow the service manual but it is a bit confusing (ie 'red engagement coil wire' -don't know what this is and they don't use this phrase anywhere else in the manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Which engine do you have?

The 700 /carb has a simple set-up. All starter solenoid's should be similar. But " main relay" makes me wonder which Virage you have.

The start button will supply 12v to the solenoid on the Y/R wire when the button is pushed. Make sure you have this 12volts.

The BLk/Wht wire supplies the ground for the solenoid to engage. This ground is from the LR505.Check to see if you have a ground signal on that wire, If not you will need to do some more diagnosis.

I have the 700.

I did check the v from on the Y/R wire and it is 1v. If that is supposed to be 12v I am not sure where it gets the 12v from.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Which engine do you have?

The 700 /carb has a simple set-up. All starter solenoid's should be similar. But " main relay" makes me wonder which Virage you have.

The start button will supply 12v to the solenoid on the Y/R wire when the button is pushed. Make sure you have this 12volts.

The BLk/Wht wire supplies the ground for the solenoid to engage. This ground is from the LR505.Check to see if you have a ground signal on that wire, If not you will need to do some more diagnosis.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Click here for the Service Manual, which includes the wiring diagram.
    Click here for more MFI related information.

The 2000 Virage has a carbureted 700 engine, and uses a LR-505 module to control engine start.

Normally, when the engine is stopped, pressing the Start button provides 12 volts through the Yellow/Red wire to the start solenoid coil. If you do not have 12 volts on Yellow/Red when the start button is pressed, check the wiring, and the button itself.

The Black/White wire from the other side of the coil connects to the LR-505 module. The LR-505 in turn connects through the Purple/White wire to the MFI display unit, which grounds the circuit, allowing the engine to crank.

In order for this to work, the MFI display must be plugged in, and working, and the 4 digit MFI security code must be 'unlocked'.

Is your MFI installed and working?
    Is the security code unlocked?

If the MFI is working and not locked, and the engine will not crank, try bypassing the MFI. Unplug the MFI, and connect the Purple/White pin-1 to the Black pin-3 on the MFI harness connector. This bypasses the MFI security.

If the engine still does not crank, then take Black/White wire from the start solenoid to the LR-505, and ground it. This bypasses the LR-505 module. Try cranking.

I suspect the either the LR-505 module has failed, or something has gone wrong with the wiring connections. Try the diagnostics outlined, and let us know what you find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040477.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	127997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040473.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	127998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040478.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	127999  

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

something like this

won't start,won't crank,remove the lanyard from kill switch,now it cranks but won't start.if so find the red/purple wire from the cdi that goes to the terminal board,remove it from that spade and reconnect to the empty orange spade,all should be well

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    won't start, won't crank, remove the lanyard from kill switch, now it cranks but won't start.
    if so find the red/purple wire from the CDI that goes to the terminal board, remove it from that spade and reconnect to the empty orange spade, all should be well
    Interesting - I didn't think having the CDI connected to Red/Purple would affect cold starting - just warm restarts.

Learn something new every day

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sadams123 View Post
    I have the 700.

I did check the v from on the Y/R wire and it is 1v. If that is supposed to be 12v I am not sure where it gets the 12v from.
    There will be a R/PUR wire (red with purple strip)(all the R/PUR wires are battery power) from the terminal board that supplies 12v to the start button,when the button is pushed you should see 12v coming out of the start button on the Yellow with Red stripe wire

+1
    Tap the solenoid and try and start it while you tap it .Black colored solenoids give trouble .Make sure yours is Fawny brown color .If it isn't change it or it will cost you big $'s .Check the volts to the starter solenoid while the start is pressed .When you change it Make sure the small red wire is on the battery +ve side of the solenoid or it won't power up

Cheers

Bernie

Thread Information