Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting tossed

+1

Getting tossed

I was pegged out on a lake and all of the sudden, it's as if I hit a stump!!! Next thing I know, I am airborne and then bouncing off the water. This was really fun doing 68-70 whatever my new stock ZR runs. I've read about stuffing and getting bucked but with a stock ski? A boater next to me saw it and that he had never seen someone fly through the air for so long and then bounce off the water the way I did. I've got a pretty dinged left wing but otherwise ok. We looked for a stump but could not find anything and no marks on the bottom of my ski. What the freak happened?
    Last edited by spinaker; 04-25-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Mispell

+1
    The pump overstuffed and "burped". This caused the ski to dart one way or another (even if you didnt realize it) throwing you off of the ski. The GPR's do this EVEN STOCK, and an aftermarket grate solved the problem on them until you get into the 80+mph range. I am NOT up on the Yamaha 4 strokes, so I cant provide the solution on your ski.

Quote Originally Posted by spinaker View Post
    I was pegged out on a lake and all of the sudden, it's as if I hit a stump!!! Next thing I know, I am airborne and then bouncing off the water. This was really fun doing 68-70 whatever my new stock ZR runs. I've read about stuffing and getting bucked but with a stock ski? A boater next to me saw it and that he had never seen someone fly through the air for so long and then bounce off the water the way I did. I've got a pretty dinged left wing but otherwise ok. We looked for a stump but could not find anything and no marks on the bottom of my ski. What the freak happened?
    is your intake grate still on the boat? the last guy that had this problem finally realized that is was missing after getting 2 days worth of advice...

+1
    Yes, the ski is fine grate and all.

I am amazed you guys keep getting away with this. As a water skiier, I have had mates with broken bones (lower legs and ribs) after falling off a waterski at 50mph. I have come off at similar speeds and can hardly breath afterwards. 70mph must be f**kin scary.
    I guess this is why they are restricted to 65 ish from standard!!!

+1
    i think jerry is working on a solution, theres a lot more on the fzr stuffing in his build up thread.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    i think jerry is working on a solution, theres a lot more on the fzr stuffing in his build up thread.
    Yeah I've read through it but never really worried about it on a stock ski. But I've got a small fracture and a torn bicep tendon to show for it now. This is no joke, if these skis are prone to this, we need to be aware of it.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    What mods do u have done to your ski? How much fuel was in the tank and how were u trimmed?

i have to say that this is very disappointing to hear......especially considering that Yamaha had the knowledge of the x-boat overstuff issue and didnt engineer a solution into the hull....knowing the FZ hull had a propensity for this with it's enlarged pump tunnel........ Jetworx valves and aftermarket grate are looking like necessities for the FZR with mods......time to start applying all the GPR tricks to the FZR..................

Were starting to hear this overstuff issue too much now.......

dont jump to conclusions rip your talking about problems we are hearing from peoples skis dont realy we dont know what they have stuffed around with to be honest.
    this is the net and not everything sometimes is what it seems

i havnt had a problem yet and fingers crossed

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proppy View Post
    dont jump to conclusions rip your talking about problems we are hearing from peoples skis dont realy we dont know what they have stuffed around with to be honest.
    this is the net and not everything sometimes is what it seems

i havnt had a problem yet and fingers crossed
    That is why I asked about mods and trim and fuel.............

Haven't heard of a completely stock FZR doing this....it's the modded ones.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information