Cylinder Sleeve Removal

For those of you that have replaced your pistons and/or cylinder sleeves, you know that the machine work for sleeve replacement can be expensive. Here's a way to cut down on the fees at the machine shop be removing the cylinder sleeves on your own. I just did it on the cylinder on my 1200 and it was very simple.
    You want to put the cylinder/sleeves only (remove all other components) on a cookie sheet and place in oven. Heat to oven to 400 degrees and leave the assembly in there for about 45 minutes. Have your workspace in the garage prepped with a way to hold the cylinder so that all of the sleeves have a place to fall when knocked out. You'll need a small block of wood and a decent-weight hammer. I used 2 cinder blocks to hold the cylinder in place. When the cylinder assembly has heated for about 45 minutes, use 2 THICK towels or oven mits that you don't mind ruining and take the cylinder to the workspace. Turn the cylinder upside-down and place on whatever you are using to hold it. When I turned mine upside-down, one of the three sleeves fell right out. I put the wood block on top of the other two and lightly tapped and they fell right out.

I am going to try to install the new ones on my own also by freezing the new ones and heating the cylinder again. I am not quite as confident about that one, but I'll post with results when the new sleeves get here.

Just FYI in case you need to save some money during a rebuild.

United States
    Great post I moved it to the "how to" section, some pics with the sleeves out would be cool.

Sounds good...I'll take some tonight. Thanks for moving the post for me...

are you going to throw them in the freezer or get a huge cooler of dry ice?

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    are you going to throw them in the freezer or get a huge cooler of dry ice?
    I used the same concept when I put a new crank sprocket on my car's engine. I put the crank in a freezer the night before I knew I would be working on the engine. I put the crank sprocket in the oven and heated it to about 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. When everything was ready, all I had to do was drop the sprocket on the crank snout and it almost immediately siezed itself into place.

New cylinder sleeves are in. I put the cylinder in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. I had the new sleeves (LA Sleeve Co.) in the garage waiting for the cylinder to heat up. When the cylinder was ready, I removed it from the oven and rushed it to the garage. The sleeves slipped right in. I used a long handle screwdriver to line up the exhaust ports on each sleeve to the cylinder wall. The cylinder cools quickly making the sleeves difficult to adjust after just a few minutes so you'd have to act quick when getting the sleeves into place. I'll check the setup tomorrow morning and if everything is okay, it's off to the machine shop with the pistons to get the sleeves bored and honed.

I do that with crank shafts and bearings on my dirt bike. The bearings are normally pressed into the cases with a 10,000 lb press (something I do not have access to). Heating the aluminum case to 200 degrees and putting the bearings in the freezer allows the bearings to drop right in. After about 10-20 seconds you cant get them out for your life. To get the crank to go inside the bearings I put a socket inside the inner race of the bearings and heated the socket up away from the bearing (don't want direct heat on the bearings). You have to be very careful you do not heat the bearing too much, just heat it enough until it starts getting sluggish then the crank drops right in.

Will this work on kawasaki's (particularly a 96 900 zxi)? According to another post and from what it looks like to me the sleeve is cast in place and they have a groove in the lower part and therefore have to be bored out. Once it is bored out and re-sleeved once, this practice seems possible because the casting that fits into the lip will be gone.

Thread Information