1999 SLH with electrical issues

The engine starts and runs fine. No MFD, power trim, or bilge. The fuses are fine. Battery is putting out 11.9 volts. Would the MFD not working cause the others not to work? There does not seem to be any power going to the MFD. Is there a fuse that I am missing? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click here for the 1999 Service Manual.

There is a 1/4 Amp fuse inside the electrical box for the MFD. Replace it with the same rating fuse, no higher.

When the engine is running, the battery voltage should be about 14.5 volts. If not, there is a problem with the charging system.

The LR voltage regulator module controls the Orange circuit, which powers the bilge and Trim.

Do you have a bilge button on the handlebar?
    When you press it, does the bilge pump run, and the Trim work?

No power trim or bilge

The power trim and bilge controll are on the handle bars. I am working on it on the trailer so the engine is not running. I have power to the starter. I checked the fuses. They are fine. Is it common for the LR to go out? Seems like there are others owners with MFD's going out. Thanks for your help. Anymore suggestions?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref_Joe View Post
    . Is it common for the LR to go out?
    Welcomto the HULK
    i would say "yes" - i have had them not work at alland some run the bilge justa little bit "like 6 volts" just enough to kill the battery if you dont notice it
    have fun and enjoy this good place with GREAT PEOPLE
    look around
    use the "search" link at the top
    oh and if you just joined you brobly(kant spill)got a few days a reading ahead -but man what a ride ,,again enjoy and hide your wallet
    mattman(genarel shadetree hach tool utilizer)

+1
    The power trim and bilge control are on the handle bars.

I am working on it on the trailer so the engine is not running. I have power to the starter.

I checked the fuses. They are fine.

Is it common for the LR to go out?

Seems like there are others owners with MFD's going out. Thanks for your help. Anymore suggestions?
    If you press the bilge button, does the bilge pump run?

If you press and hold the bilge button, does the trim work?

How are you checking the fuses?

MFD can fail, but it is far more common for the fuse to look good, but not be good.

Another thing to check is that all the black wires in the electrical box are actually grounded - zero ohms to the engine block. Same for the LR module grounding tab.

Next thing after the fuse is to unplug the MFD, and check for power and ground at the connector. On an 8-pin MFD connector, pin 1 is 12 volts (Red/Purple wire), pin 2 is ground (Black wire).

I do have power to the mfd when I checked the pins (12 volt). Display must be broken. No, the trim switch and bilge switch do not work when I use them. I tried with the engine running with no response. I replaced the fuses. The ground seems ok. The engine runs great so that is helping with my frustration. What next? Or do I just enjoy the ride without the luxury? Joe

+1
    I do have power to the MFD when I checked the pins (12 volt). Display must be broken.
    Did you confirm a solid ground at the MFD connector?
    Should measure zero ohms to battery negative from black MFD connector wire

No, the trim switch and bilge switch do not work when I use them. I tried with the engine running with no response.

I replaced the fuses.
    Did either of the new fuses blow?

The ground seems ok.

The engine runs great so that is helping with my frustration. What next?...
    How are you checking ground and power?

Something is amiss, as the bilge pump should run when the button is pressed. I suggest;

Pull the bilge pump out, and confirm it runs when directly connected to 12 volt power. Be sure to get the polarity correct when testing this. Bilge pumps can fail.

If bilge pump works, then test the wires between pump connector and engine ground (zero ohms), and power. When bilge button is pressed, 12 volts should appear at bilge connector.

If the bilge fuse keeps blowing, then either the bilge pump itself has shorted internally, or the LR module may have failed. Unplug one, then the other, to figure out which it is.

MFD - look for corrosion inside the connector contacts, on both the MFD and the wire harness.
    Does your MFD have a 12-pin or 8-pin connector?

There is a wiring diagram near the back of the service manual. Use that to help you trace what wires go where. Follow the power flow - somewhere there is a problem.

My current suspicion is that there is more than one electrical problem. Fix the bilge pump problem first, and that should shed light on whatever else is giving trouble.

Thread Information