Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buying an 04-07 RXP 215 SC

I am planning on buying a used RXP, and I have been seeing many 04-07's on the market, and I'm curious as to why? I'm aware of the supercharger problems, but are there any other major problems associated with these skis? How reliable are they, and would it be risky to buy say an 04 with about 50 hrs? Is there any difference between any of the skis from 04-07? I currently own an 07 kawi stx 12f that I am trying to sell and some of these 04 and 05 RXPs look like they are the same age as mine. Finally, At how many hours is a lot of maintenance starting to be required on RXP's?

Quote Originally Posted by matrixman16 View Post
    I am planning on buying a used RXP, and I have been seeing many 04-07's on the market, and I'm curious as to why? I'm aware of the supercharger problems, but are there any other major problems associated with these skis? How reliable are they, and would it be risky to buy say an 04 with about 50 hrs? Is there any difference between any of the skis from 04-07? I currently own an 07 kawi stx 12f that I am trying to sell and some of these 04 and 05 RXPs look like they are the same age as mine. Finally, At how many hours is a lot of maintenance starting to be required on RXP's?
    Main reason people are getting rid of their skis is due to the economy and not being able to afford them.

Buying a 2004 RXP with 50 hours would be fine. Make sure the supercharger is fine and it never had the ceramic washers break. There are a few changes between 2004 to 2007 skis. Most has to due with internal supercharger parts, different dash on the 2006 and 2007's, and a few other small things (different camshaft in the 2004 skis)

A lot of guys are changing the oil every 50 hours, changing plugs, rebuilding the super chargers every 100 to 120 hours and have fantastic reliability.

Some 2004 and 2005 skis have dropped valves. I believe the 2006 and 2007 skis have updated valves.

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Main reason people are getting rid of their skis is due to the economy and not being able to afford them.

Buying a 2004 RXP with 50 hours would be fine. Make sure the supercharger is fine and it never had the ceramic washers break. There are a few changes between 2004 to 2007 skis. Most has to due with internal supercharger parts, different dash on the 2006 and 2007's, and a few other small things (different camshaft in the 2004 skis)

A lot of guys are changing the oil every 50 hours, changing plugs, rebuilding the super chargers every 100 to 120 hours and have fantastic reliability.

Some 2004 and 2005 skis have dropped valves. I believe the 2006 and 2007 skis have updated valves.
    +1. I have an '04 RXP that I bought used with roughly 60 hours on it. And an '04 GTX that I got used with roughly 98 hours on it. The GTX had dropped a valve and blew a piston so my buddy gave it to me because he didn't want to fix it. My '04 RXP runs AMAZINGLY well and just logged over 110 hours.

No major maintenance but totally agree on changing the oil every 50 hours or so and SC rebuild at 100 to 120. I just had the GTX SC rebuild at 175hrs.

Do you know how common it is for valves to drop in the pre 06 models, and is there and difference in performance in the models prior to 06. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all RXP's go about 67 on GPS?

Do you know how common it is for valves to drop in the pre 06 models, and is there and difference in performance in the models prior to 06. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all RXP's go about 67 on GPS?
    Don't know about the "how often". You generally only hear about the problems...not the people that are running fine.

And you are correct...stock is about 66-67 or so. They have the same motor as the current RXT's that run about the same speed. I imagine the performance is a little better on the new 215hp motors so the difference (that makes them run about the same) is probably a slightly stronger motor but a heavier ski.

Alright sounds good. There's an 04 with 55 hrs near me that just had the SC rebuilt and I may very well go buy it now having this info. Why O why didn't I wait a year then I could have had an RXP for the same price as my 07 12f.

Alright sounds good. There's an 04 with 55 hrs near me that just had the SC rebuilt and I may very well go buy it now having this info. Why O why didn't I wait a year then I could have had an RXP for the same price as my 07 12f.
    Since you said the RXP you are looking at had a rebuild, make sure the ceramic washers didn't break and go into the motor. Make sure to ask the seller. If it did, make sure the motor was pulled, oil pumps were removed, and proper cleaning was done.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Since you said the RXP you are looking at had a rebuild, make sure the ceramic washers didn't break and go into the motor. Make sure to ask the seller. If it did, make sure the motor was pulled, oil pumps were removed, and proper cleaning was done.

+ 100. The parts themselves won't actually cause the damage in most cases, but they block oil flow to the motor by clogging the screens. This is what causes the major issues.

Yea I'll ask for the HIN and see what the dealer had done. He says he spent over 700 on an SC rebuild, and if the washers went, I would assume the bill would have been a lot more.

Yea I'll ask for the HIN and see what the dealer had done. He says he spent over 700 on an SC rebuild, and if the washers went, I would assume the bill would have been a lot more.
    $700 seems really high for a SC rebuild.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information