Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my problem today at the lake(s)

well I started off the day today going to my hometown in owensboro, ky on the ohio river. I rode around there for about 1 hour or so and my ski ran great!!! Then I decided to go somewhere else that was a little cleaner so I drove about an hour to a lake called Lake Malone in Dunmor, KY. It is a smaller lake and very clean with hardly any debris in it. I rode around for about an hour or so and then started doing some crazy stuff with it for a minute or so like 360s and jumping wakes and crap like that. But after doing all that I sped off down the lake and reached peak rpm which was around 6950 and peak speed which was around 65-66 and then all of a sudden the speed and rpm decreased on me at full throttle so I took it to the dock and backed out the high end screws around 1/4 on the first 2 and about 3/8 on the last. Took it back out and did the same thing. I had noticed there was water down in the hull so when i put it on the trailer I pulled the drain plugs and a ton of water came out. It was pretty much dark by this point so I didnt really have any time to take it back out to test it. I went by Auto Zone and Advance Auto to try to rent out a compression gauge but they didnt rent them out for some reason. So I was going to buy one but the fitting that it came with didn't seem long enough to me. My spark plugs have longer threads on them than the fittings did. But I did pull the #1 spark plug and it wasn't white or gray in color. I don't really know right now what exactly my problem was because the ski had no problem from 0-65 and peak rpm it would just drop a bit once you were peaked out. I'm hoping it was because of all the water in the hull and I'm pretty sure all that water came from going crazy on the water. But anyways that was how my day went with my gp1200r.

Quote Originally Posted by tamous View Post
    well I started off the day today going to my hometown in owensboro, ky on the ohio river. I rode around there for about 1 hour or so and my ski ran great!!! Then I decided to go somewhere else that was a little cleaner so I drove about an hour to a lake called Lake Malone in Dunmor, KY. It is a smaller lake and very clean with hardly any debris in it. I rode around for about an hour or so and then started doing some crazy stuff with it for a minute or so like 360s and jumping wakes and crap like that. But after doing all that I sped off down the lake and reached peak rpm which was around 6950 and peak speed which was around 65-66 and then all of a sudden the speed and rpm decreased on me at full throttle so I took it to the dock and backed out the high end screws around 1/4 on the first 2 and about 3/8 on the last. Took it back out and did the same thing. I had noticed there was water down in the hull so when i put it on the trailer I pulled the drain plugs and a ton of water came out. It was pretty much dark by this point so I didnt really have any time to take it back out to test it. I went by Auto Zone and Advance Auto to try to rent out a compression gauge but they didnt rent them out for some reason. So I was going to buy one but the fitting that it came with didn't seem long enough to me. My spark plugs have longer threads on them than the fittings did. But I did pull the #1 spark plug and it wasn't white or gray in color. I don't really know right now what exactly my problem was because the ski had no problem from 0-65 and peak rpm it would just drop a bit once you were peaked out. I'm hoping it was because of all the water in the hull and I'm pretty sure all that water came from going crazy on the water. But anyways that was how my day went with my gp1200r.

After reading this and talking to you one the phone, I have to problems I can think of. First I wanted you to turn out the number one and two carbs 1/8 turn and number 3 1/4 turn out. Sounds like you have a lean condition. I do not know why you had the problem in the middle of your day. Maybe you weren't riding hard earlier.

The other problem i can see would be water injestion but it would be pretty hard with the downdraft manifold.

Did you get those numbers off your domes? Also go tomorrow to sears and get a craftsman compression tester. The kit will come with multiple fittings. This will give you a close to accurate reading without hurting your wallet. This might not give you exact readings but it will show you if you have any differences in compression between cyls. I say not to buy an expensive compression guage like snap-on or mac tools unless you check compression offen on multiple skis. Just doesn't pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    After reading this and talking to you one the phone, I have to problems I can think of. First I wanted you to turn out the number one and two carbs 1/8 turn and number 3 1/4 turn out. Sounds like you have a lean condition. I do not know why you had the problem in the middle of your day. Maybe you weren't riding hard earlier.

The other problem i can see would be water injestion but it would be pretty hard with the downdraft manifold.

Did you get those numbers off your domes? Also go tomorrow to sears and get a craftsman compression tester. The kit will come with multiple fittings. This will give you a close to accurate reading without hurting your wallet. This might not give you exact readings but it will show you if you have any differences in compression between cyls. I say not to buy an expensive compression guage like snap-on or mac tools unless you check compression offen on multiple skis. Just doesn't pay off.
    Well i turned the 1 and 2 an 1/8 and the 3 a 1/4 and didnt fix it so i did it again which made it a 1/4 on 1 and 2 and around 3/8 on the 3. i want to reset them though before i go out again and after i check compression. According to the riva manual it calls for 1/4 +/- 1/2 on the gp1200r which makes no sense IMO. How can you go 1/2 - 1/4...and then on the gp1200r3 it calls for 1 +/- 1/2...it is an r3 but i guess technically its not anymore since the triples have been taken off....thats a big difference though

Well i turned the 1 and 2 an 1/8 and the 3 a 1/4 and didnt fix it so i did it again which made it a 1/4 on 1 and 2 and around 3/8 on the 3. i want to reset them though before i go out again and after i check compression. According to the riva manual it calls for 1/4 +/- 1/2 on the gp1200r which makes no sense IMO. How can you go 1/2 - 1/4...and then on the gp1200r3 it calls for 1 +/- 1/2...it is an r3 but i guess technically its not anymore since the triples have been taken off....thats a big difference though
    1\4 +\- 1\2 is a range..... they are saying it will be somewhere in that range between 1\4 and a half turn out.
    +1 on compression check

What 1/4 +/- 1/2 means is 1/4 out then anywhere between 1/2 turn in or out from there. They are just giving you a basline. Like 1 +/- 1/2 means one out starting then it could be as much as another 1/2 turn out or in depending on the setup. Even though two skis have the same exact setup, the carbs settings can be different due to the minor differences in the parts and ski.

On your gauge....as kris says buy it,(good reference tool on any motor) your thread lenght won't matter as long as your diameter is 'square' with your thread lenghts (meaning the same measure, or 4-6 threads) you'll have plenty of thread engaged and the oring ( that most have now) or tapered seat will seal you up!

+1
    talked on the phone and comp check was good today. He's going to open up the highs and dial them in and see what happens. I think he splash water in the hull up on the carbs. Didn't have a problem until after the 360's...too coincidental. There was a heckuva lot of water in there splashing around. Plug color sounds good. He's learning a lot in a short amount of time, LOL.

i would check all my hull seals and fittings ( gp's use that foam at the seats and under the buckets,which will deteriorate thru the years internally ,they ALSO shrink and disconectfrom where they are glued and then dont seal so well) I beat the tar out of mine and dont even have a 1/2 inch still in the bottom after playtime is up!!

well i checked compression in all 3 cylinders and they read 148,141,150...So after I assured myself that the compression was okay I went back out on the lake looking to tune the highs...I first backed my ski down into the water and let it sit for a second to see if any water was coming in...probably didnt do it long enough tho cause it was getting dark so i only let it sit there for about a minute or so....So i went out on the lake and again reached peak rpm which was right around 7000 and would stay there for about 3-5 seconds then drop to 6300 or so along with the speed... So i took it to the dock and turned the highs out a lil more (and by the way what does everyone use to turn these screws cause it took me forever...i bought an elbow flathead but the elbow was still just a lil too long....I guess i need T handles on them like my lows)...So after turning them out i took it back out and did the same....So here's my philosophy after brainstorming....considering my ski starting acting like this at the exact same time it started taking on water Im thinking they are related....I'm wondering if it's reaching peak rpm because the front of the ski is still a lil more up than the rear and then once it is peaked out it is sitting flat on the water which then causes there to be a load with all the water in the hull making it drop in rpm and speed....Idk tho this is just me thinking here....im pretty positive that the highs are far enough out to where it shouldnt be running lean on me on top end..

sounds like your working in the right direction. cure that water leak first..in the daylight ...lol... the skis attitude in the water can affect its water intrusion only if its comming in from the bottom (like a crack or seam leak) from other places is would generally be all the time unless it were from say a split in a hose, an exhaust tube or pipe leaking or a split water box thats presuurizing open its split more under speed.. yours are all fairly easy to check.. (a question? .. when you opened the engine bay was there any exhaust smoke that was more than the usual water mist or splash evaaporate?) if you smelled exhaust check yours .. this will also cause your motor to die suddenly after a short time, because the engine uses up all the oxy and cant run on the exhaust byproducts.. just a thought that combines you exess water and running issues..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information