2008 Seadoo RXT 255 handling questions

Just purchased a new 2008 RXT 255. I have a few questions on the handling. I am used to the RXP which handled great, but went for the RXT for family and open water use. I have a few concerns on the steering/handling of the new rxt, only have 7 hours on it...are these normal and is there anything I can do about it?

1) As expected, the RXT does not turn as sharp and quick as the RXP....but it does turn much sharper to the left than to the right. Is this normal or is there possibly an alignment / adjustment issue?

2) Can modification or adjustments be made to improve the turning radius and responsiveness?

3) When cruising around 4000-4500 rpm's, the boat begins to zig zag or fishtail some. I haven't cruised at top end since I am still in break-in period. Very noticable if standing, which I attributed to perhaps uneven weight distribution, and less so if sitting but is still present. This doesn't seem normal or what I would expect....any ideas or suggestions?

I must add since I live overseas, I am not confident inthe diagnostic abilities of the techies at the shop here to figure out if there is a problem. Thanks for any advice

+1
    The RXT hulls do rock from side to side at lower speed's and require's counter steering to stop it. It has been posted that removing the OPAS will eliminate it. You should check the opas paddles and look to see if they are even with each other with the steering centered. Are your handle bars centered when going straight?

If you want to improve the handling of it maybe some aftermarket sponsons will help. I find I can get my RXTX to spin around almost as tight as an RXP by trimming it down and leaning forward while pinning it and turning.. I think alot of it is how you use the trim, I makes a HUGE difference in the way the RXTX handles.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Yes the paddles do appear to be even when the steering is straight; however, they are evenly pointed outward about 20-30 degrees, which I assumed is normal; The steering is not perfectly straight.....if aligned straight, the boat will make a slight veer to the left, and I've noticed to keep a straight line the bars must be slightly to the right. This would explain the ability to make a harder left turn....I can dig and spin to the left, but haven't been able to make a hard enough right to get the back to pop around.

Sponsons huh? I'll check into those, as well as the OPAS

Quote Originally Posted by Jollimon View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Yes the paddles do appear to be even when the steering is straight; however, they are evenly pointed outward about 20-30 degrees, which I assumed is normal; The steering is not perfectly straight.....if aligned straight, the boat will make a slight veer to the left, and I've noticed to keep a straight line the bars must be slightly to the right. This would explain the ability to make a harder left turn....I can dig and spin to the left, but haven't been able to make a hard enough right to get the back to pop around.

Sponsons huh? I'll check into those, as well as the OPAS
    Definitely sounds like some sort of steering alignment issue. My T-X goes straight with no input on the bars from me and also turns about the same each way.

As the others have said, spend some time fiddling with the VTS. I'd suggest setting your down preset to the whole way down and your up preset to 1 click above center. Makes it real easy to change it quick for turning/hole shots and easy to get it back to where it needs to be for cruising without having to look at the display.

+1
    My T-X was just the opposite. The bars were canted to the left while going straight and I just adjusted it out 2 weeks ago (see "Lost my steering" thread ). My paddles weren't even and I adjusted them too but they are still canted out like yours.

Thanks, good info, will check out the thread

OK good news...I adjusted the OPAS and that cut down on the wig wag, and adjusted/aligned the steering and it solved the problem...What I meant to say is I adjusted the steering myself and made it worse, so when the 10 hours service was due I had them fix it properly (I hope)...I saw the "Lost my steering" post, didn't sound like what I wanted to do...

Thread Information