Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lil help for an 06 NA GTX?

I have been searching around for an hour or so and I've found a lot but much of it would seem to not apply as the bulk of the posts are about the SC machines.

Here's my situation. I have an 06 GTX standard with the 155hp engine. When the ski was new it would do 62 according to it's own speedo and gps'd at about 58 mph this with the RPM's in the high 7k range.

I had some problems with it taking on water through the driveline (carbon seal?) and had to take it in twice to have the seal replaced. Well after I got it back the second time I noticed it wasn't as fast as it used to be and it seemed to have lost about 4-500 rpm. I called the dealer and they gave me the full on blow-off telling me that speed I was getting was normal for that ski etc. and that they noticed a few dings in my impeller so that was the likely cause. (The ski had 20 hours on it at this point). So Basically I let them talk me out of making them fix whatever they screwed up.

Well my top end contined to decline and last summer I was hitting a whopping 52 on the speedo, didn't bother to gps it. So this spring I put a new wear ring, new solas 11/19 polished ss impeller and an aquavein grate on her along with an oil change and new plugs. Took her out for the first time yesterday and the speedo is indicating 55 with the rpms right around 7200. The ski now has 47 hours on it. Other than the low RPMs up top it is running superb. Jumps out of the hole like a champ and is as smooth as can be.

I checked the throttle linkage and it is adjusted properly. I get full open with the throttle fully depressed. I don't know what my next step should be. I just want her to run like she did new. Or at least closer to it than this.

Sorry for the lengthy post, any help in what to check to try and bring her back to like new performance would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuisi View Post
    I have been searching around for an hour or so and I've found a lot but much of it would seem to not apply as the bulk of the posts are about the SC machines.

Here's my situation. I have an 06 GTX standard with the 155hp engine. When the ski was new it would do 62 according to it's own speedo and gps'd at about 58 mph this with the RPM's in the high 7k range.

I had some problems with it taking on water through the driveline (carbon seal?) and had to take it in twice to have the seal replaced. Well after I got it back the second time I noticed it wasn't as fast as it used to be and it seemed to have lost about 4-500 rpm. I called the dealer and they gave me the full on blow-off telling me that speed I was getting was normal for that ski etc. and that they noticed a few dings in my impeller so that was the likely cause. (The ski had 20 hours on it at this point). So Basically I let them talk me out of making them fix whatever they screwed up.

Well my top end contined to decline and last summer I was hitting a whopping 52 on the speedo, didn't bother to gps it. So this spring I put a new wear ring, new solas 11/19 polished ss impeller and an aquavein grate on her along with an oil change and new plugs. Took her out for the first time yesterday and the speedo is indicating 55 with the rpms right around 7200. The ski now has 47 hours on it. Other than the low RPMs up top it is running superb. Jumps out of the hole like a champ and is as smooth as can be.

I checked the throttle linkage and it is adjusted properly. I get full open with the throttle fully depressed. I don't know what my next step should be. I just want her to run like she did new. Or at least closer to it than this.

Sorry for the lengthy post, any help in what to check to try and bring her back to like new performance would be greatly appreciated.
    maybe its overfilled with oil...that would hurt it a bit performance wise

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    maybe its overfilled with oil...that would hurt it a bit performance wise
    Good call. Follow instructions in the manual, or searc the forum. Make sure the oil level is no more than 1/2 way between the bends on the sticks.

NOTE: The GTX SC (supercharged) skis GPS at 61/62 at 7600 RPM to give you an idea

Thanks for the tip, I just went and checked it after reading this and it is about 1/3rd up from the bottom between the bends.

+1
    Thanks for the tip, I just went and checked it after reading this and it is about 1/3rd up from the bottom between the bends.
    Check it warm...and level?

it was level, but as for warm, possibly not. It was run earlier in the morning but was surely cooler than normal operating temperature. Will that make a significant difference?

+1
    it was level, but as for warm, possibly not. It was run earlier in the morning but was surely cooler than normal operating temperature. Will that make a significant difference?
    Do you know your exact RPMs? Is it 7200 as mentioned in your first post? I think it should be the same as the supercharged (185 hp) skis at 7600. If so then you ar 400 short of your optimal RPM. Research prop bending (how-to section) and see if that may be something that needs to be done.

I do, it is 7200 rpm. I also think it should be higher as it was when it was new. But I guess I thought it might be something other than the prop as it (the prop) is brand new. I have looked at some of the prop bending threads. I'm not sure I really understand the relationship between the pitch, RPM and speed though. Is it correct to surmise that pitching the prop to allow the engine to achieve it's peak rpm will raise the top speed even though it's just an NA machine?

Ok well I am going to attempt a little pitching on the stock prop. I filled the rideplate holes last night based on the articles on this site. I'll update this thread as I progress in case anyone has any interest in what can be done to try and pep up a normally aspirated machine.

Maybe with the rideplate holes filled and a 4" cold air intake and low on gas, you might pick up 300 rpms. It's going to be tough to tweak the impeller to hit 7600 rpms in all air/water temps. If you can hit 7600 rpms in cold air/water temps, that's about as good as you will get... Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information