Need some advice

So here's my dilemma...I have now removed all oil injection components from my 1998 XL1200. I also removed the flange where the oil filler cap is and the filler hose to the tank. I am trying to figure out what I want to do about the tank or alternatives and would like some other's input. Here is what I came up with as options:
    1) Put the empty oil tank back in place and fix the oil sending unit (oil level switch) so that it will read full all the time. Otherwise, do no other mods.
    2) Bore the hole where the oil filler cap was and put a 2" Flo-Rite vent in.
    3) Put the filler cap and hose back in but instead of filling that tank with oil, fill it with premix fuel/oil and use it as a 1 gallon reserve tank. I would then wire in a switch-activated solenoid to switch from the main tank when it is empty to the reserve tank to get me to shore to fill up. If I did this, the oil sending unit would tell me how much fuel is left in the reserve tank. In Louisville, we don't have fueling stations scattered everywhere like some other places and some of our trips are pretty far up or down river.
    4) Do the Flo-Rite vent idea and the reroute the filler hose and cap for the oil tank and do the reserve fuel tank as discussed above. This would be the best of both situations.

My main question is whether that extra 1 gallon will really be beneficial. If anyone else has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.
    Last edited by FTPPNET; 04-26-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information