carb service pointers

hey guys, so after doing some searching around i am still looking for some info. I have an 02 gpr 1200, and i am about to install a primer kit cuz she is a pain to cold start. anyways, i know i need to take the carbs off to remove the choke plates, and i was wondering if there is any specific maintanence i should do while i have them out. i am mechanically inclined, but not super familiar with carbs. the bike has 65 hours on it.

Also, i have recently noticed a little bit of oil in the hull. i noticed it last year but figured it was a spill from the previous owner. upon doing some research im afraid i might have a leak or possibly a line popped off. is there anything i can do to the oil lines when re-installing the carbs to ensure they wont fall off in the future? the ski ran fine when i took it off the lake last year, so im guessing it might be a leak as i have no reason to suspect a bad cylinder.

thanks for all your help guys.

+1
    First, I would not remove the chokes unless you are wanting to go all out in the speed department. Removal does improve airflow a tad, but they really do make it easier to start the ski. If you have your heart set on removing them, then go ahead - lots of us have done it.

As far as the primer, frankly the aftermarket ones are all a PITA. The diaphragm goes out rather quickly in my experience. It is much easier to leave the factory accelerator pump in there and reach around the back of the pipe to give it a few squirts when you fire it up on the trailer. I hate the primer I installed several years ago, and plan on going with what I just mentioned above.

As far as what to do when you take the carbs off, I would put a rebuild kit in there. If you've never done it but are mechanically inclined, you should have no problem. If not, send 'em to Osidebill or Island racing.

It's not unusual to find a small amount of oil in the hull. But I would definitely check all your lines. All it takes is one ride with a busted/missing line to stick a piston. It's why most of us go with premix and remove the oil pump altogether.

my whole thought process on doing the primer is that if i leave the ski sitting even for just a little while (when beaching, pulled up to the bar, etc) it is tough to start. so therefore i could just give it a squirt and im on my way. the last thing i want out on the water is a dead battery from cranking. so im going to go through with it. if the diaphragm goes bad ill figure something out. not to mention the previous owner did not take care of her, and the last thing i want to happen is encountering expensive problems in the middle of the summer. im doing so much work to it right now so i want to make sure everything is good.

As far as what to do when you take the carbs off, I would put a rebuild kit in there
    would a rebuild kit take care of everything i need to inspect/replace in the carb? is this what you would reccommend? http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=969 is this kit for just one carb, or all 3? i hope its for all 3 cuz i dont really have an extra 150 at the moment.

i will check the oil lines as soon as i get the carbs out. just as an approx time, how long does it take to remove and rebuild the carbs? ive had the exhaust out so i know how to get it out rather quickly.
    like i said ive rebuilt engines before, just never done a carb. so im hoping it isnt too complex. im afraid of taking it apart and springs flying out and stuff lol. thanks for all your input!!

+1
    My guess is you hard start problem in dirty carbs.

+1
    One rebuild kit per carb, so yeah it's real expensive to rebuild them.

Rebuild them one at a time,take your time and work clean.post pics step by step if you aren't sure of anything.

thanks for the help guys. i am going to rebuild them within a few weeks probably..as soon as i have the dough to buy the kits. i will def post pics if i have questions. if nothing else it wil give me more time to read up on it. thanks!

Canadian POWERHOUSE CanadianGPR's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post

As far as the primer, frankly the aftermarket ones are all a PITA. The diaphragm goes out rather quickly in my experience. It is much easier to leave the factory accelerator pump in there and reach around the back of the pipe to give it a few squirts when you fire it up on the trailer. I hate the primer I installed several years ago, and plan on going with what I just mentioned above.
    +1
    I have my accelerator pump disabled, but still have a cable hooked up to to the arm so I can give it a couple pulls to prime the carbs and it fires right up.

Thread Information