Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1996 Wave Raider 1200

I have a 1996 Wave Raider I bought new 10 years ago and it's been a great ski. I installed a SBT 1200 engine in it 2 years ago and have around 100 hours on it. Last Saturday while starting it I think it flooded and I heard and felt a big Kaboom! I know, I should open the hood and vent it but I've never had that problem, I'll start venting it. After the kaboom I vented it, started it and it ran fine for about 10 minutes and then started running badly. It would idle fine but would bog down trying to accelerate. I pulled the plugs and they looked fine. I'm thinking the kaboom fried my CDI box. I've had to replace it 2 times in the past and it seems to be showing the same symptoms. How can I check my CDI? I haven't checked my compression yet, I don't have a guage, might have to get one. Anything else I should check? I live on Lake Lanier in Georgia if there are any wrenchers around here that might could help. The only mods I have on it are tripple 46 carbs, intake grate, and beach house sponsons. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, great forum. I've been visiting it since it was created but this is the first time I've had to post.

RAIDER RUNNER
    First welcome to the forum.........the first thing is to check the compression....second, any nicks on your spark plug wires.since they run right next to the flame arrestors and can arc to the nearest ground(FLAME ARRESTORS), unless you have the side draft manifold, the spark will ignite the vapors from the carbs.......I run the almost same set up.46's and all.did you install the 1200 cdi and electronics?? that will give us more info on the cdi problem,The venting most people are talking about is the vapors of the battery also...but you would see the damage to that........when our skis backfire like that it usually takes out some reeds......they need to be checked to make sure....get back to us.

Thanks for the response Bullraider. I did not swap out the engine, I had it done but I don't think he changed out the CDI. I'll do a compression check and let you know. Thanks again!

ok, did a compression check and unfortunately this is what I found:

#1 - 110 psi
    #2 - 0 psi
    #3 - 120 psi

I have a guy that will be tearing into it the first of next week to see what caused this. I'll be on vacation next week so it may be awhile before I can update you. The top of #2 piston (looking through the spark plug hole) looks perfect. Should I look at redoing all 3 cylinders since there is a 10 psi difference between #1 and #3? (provided I don't need a new engine? I will get the engine fixed and may need your help Bullraider in selecting a new prop, ride plate, and extended nozzle and other mods you might suggest....mainly bolt ons. By the way I am pre-mixing 45 - 1. Thanks again!

RAIDER RUNNER
    OUCH!!!!!!!.......wow!!! sorry to hear that, by all means put all in fresh, since you dont really know the time on the pistons right now, people will tell people anything, like ."oh the pistons only have 10 hours on them and the look real bed when you get them!!!!, let us know when you get it back together and broken in, make sure you get those reeds checked. Look in the carbs and find out what you are running for the jets and pop-off........mine hits hard off of the line......
    here is a few questions ...
    do you have 3 lines coming off of the cylinder, between the cylinder and the carbs going into the rear of the carbs?or just one that has been tee'd off?
    also our engines are prone to the rear seal popping out ,it is the one the the coupler goes through in the back of the engine, this will cause a lean siezure...............good luck and get back to us

Results...

Fuel line is just one line that has been tee-d off for each carb but each carb has it's own fuel pump-does this sound right? Not sure on what the jets are running at, will find out shortly when he takes those apart...I like to post some pictures of some problems we saw when it was taken apart-what is the best way to do this?
    Thanks-

Testing

See if this works...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damage_613.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	6063  

Another

Another pic

Name:	carbs_172.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	6064  

Finally

The guy working on it asked if we had the ski in salt water (we have not) because he noticed this corrosion, what else could cause this?

Name:	salt_108.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	6065  

RAIDER RUNNER
    The corrosion could be from the previous owner of the engine, unless it was all new, besides that ,hard water where you flush the engine at...... the carbs are 44mm they do have a fuel pump in each one, I was just wondering if this is a 1100 with 44 carbs or a 1200 with all stock parts, send us a picture of the engine from the top showing the exhaust and front cover ,I will be able to tell you then. If it is a 1100 cdi it will be mounted to the front cover on top in a black cover,the wires will come out of there, if it is a 1200 cdi the box will have to be mounted somewhere , i am in the process of doing this it is a seperate box the mounts near the rear of the engine most times. look at this picture you will see on mine the black cover where the cdi sits on the front of the engine

Name:	46_engine2_114.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	6066  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information