2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar

1st problem with my RXP this weekend...

first, for all you lucky folks that live in warmer areas i'd like to share with you some of the riding temps this weekend (I had friday off so i was able to get out on the water all 3 days)...

friday - lake michigan (2 hours) lake temp 43* air temp 80*
    saturday - chain of lakes in waupaca wisc. lake temp 53* air temp 47*
    sunday - lake michigan in chicago (awesome!) lake temp 55* air 78*

so on saturday we managed to suck up (actually my friend did) a bunch of decent size rocks (about 10-15 of them at least).

He had the ski running for about 15 seconds before i told him to shut it off.

I took of the pump sunday morning and had to un- jam several rocks from the impeller... wasnt pretty. the impeller itself had some decent guages on it, 2 of the blades were hammer nosed about a good 1/8 of an inch... the wear ring was still decent. I tool a tie grinder and was able to sharpen the edges of the impeller but it's maybe 70% at best.

The ski is completely stock. Should I just go with a new used replacement off ebay, or should i get something else that works? I've search the forums but didn't really find anything helpful.

What are the different impellers you can use on a stock ski and any power differences?

also will sharpening a stock impeller cause cavitation or what should i know about impellers?

+1
    I would talk to Impros about your impeller they might be able to repair it for you. I would check the wear ring closely and if you see any grooves then it needs either "flipped" or replaced. If the shark teeth in the pump shoe are broken then grind them all off so its nice and smooth.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin_quat View Post
    first, for all you lucky folks that live in warmer areas i'd like to share with you some of the riding temps this weekend (I had friday off so i was able to get out on the water all 3 days)...

friday - lake michigan (2 hours) lake temp 43* air temp 80*
    saturday - chain of lakes in waupaca wisc. lake temp 53* air temp 47*
    sunday - lake michigan in chicago (awesome!) lake temp 55* air 78*

so on saturday we managed to suck up (actually my friend did) a bunch of decent size rocks (about 10-15 of them at least).

He had the ski running for about 15 seconds before i told him to shut it off.

I took of the pump sunday morning and had to un- jam several rocks from the impeller... wasnt pretty. the impeller itself had some decent guages on it, 2 of the blades were hammer nosed about a good 1/8 of an inch... the wear ring was still decent. I tool a tie grinder and was able to sharpen the edges of the impeller but it's maybe 70% at best.

The ski is completely stock. Should I just go with a new used replacement off ebay, or should i get something else that works? I've search the forums but didn't really find anything helpful.

What are the different impellers you can use on a stock ski and any power differences?

also will sharpening a stock impeller cause cavitation or what should i know about impellers?

buy a new impeller form the online store/ GH/Jerry or send it impros or a local boat shop may be able to repair it. flip the wear ring end for end, and you can get more use out of it. you can also use plastic epoxy repair to fill in the wear ring damage if you don't want to flip it.

+1
    Shoot your friend at dawn

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    I would talk to Impros about your impeller they might be able to repair it for you. I would check the wear ring closely and if you see any grooves then it needs either "flipped" or replaced. If the shark teeth in the pump shoe are broken then grind them all off so its nice and smooth.
    I just flipped the wear ring so i guess i'll need to fix it or replace it.. as far as the shark teeth, yep those are all sheared off... I'll have to get in there and sand them down...

There needs to be a post about "Friends that F**ked Up My Ski*. I'll bet it gets pretty long... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin_quat View Post
    The ski is completely stock.
    If this is an 04-07 RXP, replace the ceramic SC washers with metal washers before you ride it again.

get a new stock prop. i found one here i cant rember who i got it through but it was a very good price.

wouldent ride it again with that prop untill its been professionally redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    If this is an 04-07 RXP, replace the ceramic SC washers with metal washers before you ride it again.
    The first thing i did after i bought these ski's in march was send the sc's to jerry for a full rebuild.... just need to get the oil changed on both of them... as far as the damage i'm seeing that you can get a used good impeller for like $30-$100 out there so no big deal but i certainly don't want to be replacing one every few weeks!

Thread Information