Question Catch Can - Yes or No?

Hi,

I need some opinions from people who have better knowledge of the 4-Tec engines.

I have been doing a bit of research on GH on catch cans and 4" intakes. All the threads suggest that a catch can is a must.

However I came across a few post where people say that for 100% ocean riding it is better to plumb the engine breather hose back into the intake as per OEM. Reason behind this theory is the engine vapurs will aid in S/C lubrication and help with the salt etc from 100% ocean riding???

Now what do I do? I want to get the best out of my 4" but at the same time I dont want my S/C to fail if the above is true for 100% ocean riding?

Cheers

You pretty much need to do the catch can if you go to the 4" intake mod. Seems like so many are going this route.

I can't really see how the sc would fail as long as you kept the intake in the front of the craft and placed an "outerwears" filter cover to help aid in the salt water intrusion for the filter/flame arrestor..

If you ride the salt, expect more maintenance as things corrode away more quickly than us fresh water lake boys. Sorry, nothing is made to last in that environment forever...

My humble suggestion....go for the 4" intake, get the catch can, and let it rip!!

+1
    You can always just spray some fogging oil into the air intake and lube the S/C and cylinders that way. For saltwater use, you should be fogging it anyway after flushing.

Quote Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
    Hi,

I need some opinions from people who have better knowledge of the 4-Tec engines.

I have been doing a bit of research on GH on catch cans and 4" intakes. All the threads suggest that a catch can is a must. It's a monkey see, monkey do theory.

However I came across a few post where people say that for 100% ocean riding it is better to plumb the engine breather hose back into the intake as per OEM. Reason behind this theory is the engine vapurs will aid in S/C lubrication and help with the salt etc from 100% ocean riding??? <<< Re-read what you just posted there. Does that makes sense to you?

Now what do I do? I want to get the best out of my 4" but at the same time I dont want my S/C to fail if the above is true for 100% ocean riding? why would re-routing your engine breather hose back to your 4 inch air intake hurt getting the best out of it? That does not make sense

Cheers
    Read your post ^^^^^^^^^^up there

+1
    I run a Riva rear intake and a catch can. My understanding is the catch can keeps all the oily vapors from gooing up our aftermarket intercoolers.

OBJ

Read someware that for OEM the oil vapours are returned to the intake for 2 reasons: a) to keep in conformity with the EPA emmisions star rating - 3 stars b) to lubricate the SC so to minimise the salt attack if you ride in ocean. Keep in mind that air in a salt environment has a high content of salt compared to a lake environment. Even if you take all precautions not to get water in the intake, the air is still saturated with salt particles.

I ride in fresh water only and have installed a catch can. After my first outing of this season I literally filled a dixie cup of gas/oily mixture. Albeit my motor was foggeed during winterization so the majority was due to that. Anyhow I would not want that blowing through my SC or I/C.
    However in the long run I think it is best to have the crank case vent connected to the air intake as per the OEM design, if you ride in the ocean, due to the salt factor.

Thread Information