Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Weak spark, No Start

I have a '99 slx. The spark is blue but it is to weak, faint enough to keep my finger on it while turning the motor over. I downloaded the service manual but I can't find anything that might apply. First I replaced the CDI, then checked the grounding, and the stator seems to check out. What else could it be?

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

You must have at least 10.5 volts while cranking for good spark.

New Battery too

I read all the posts here that I thought might apply. The battery is good. I have even done the changes for the power to the cdi specified in the service bulletins. I usually can figure these things out just reading the forums, but this one has me stumped.

Smile Thanks for the welcome..

I read this forum often and it has helped me through some difficult issues. So far that alone has gotten me by. So thank you for being here and thanks for the vast knowledge base, but most of all I want to thank you all for putting the time into answering the same questions again and again. That takes true caring for this community.

what kinda plugs ? does it have a R in the number

also try triming back the spark plug wires its self

Factory ends

I read that in some posts here but they said if there was factory ends not to do that. These are factory ends, should I still consider cutting them?

It has new plugs. They are the ones specified in the service manual.

you mention it has a good battery in it. What does that mean? Check the voltage while cranking on the REd purple cicuit in the electrical box with a DC volt meter. Has to be a min of 10.5 VDC.

Quote Originally Posted by LoPhatt View Post
    I have a '99 slx. The spark is blue but it is to weak, faint enough to keep my finger on it while turning the motor over. I downloaded the service manual but I can't find anything that might apply. First I replaced the CDI, then checked the grounding, and the stator seems to check out. What else could it be?
    Could be the ignition coil. Be sure to measure the resistance of the secondary circuit. If the resistance becomes infinite and you have a cylinder skip, it puts a tremendous strain on the coil. That high voltage has to find it's way back to the ignition coil. If it cannot get back through the ignition wires and the plugs, then it will eventually burn through the epoxy inside the coil. Electricity is just like me, it is lazy. It will take path of least resistance. The unfortunate problem is there is now way to check this out. Resistance values do no good and running it on a scope is of no value either. When all other check have been made and everything else is good, suspect the ignition coil

I will focus on the coil, thanks. I thought there was three coils in the coil pack making it improbable for all three to go out simotainiously. I guess that is the next step, replacing the coil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information