Why do we buy Sea-Doo's?

Just a short Rant...

Chances are I will never buy a Sea-Doo again because of the situation with the BUDS software. I don't understand what they are possibly gaining by locking people out of doing their own maintenance. Do any other watercraft manufactures do this? Yamaha?

I have a crack guage display and simply need to replace it. Dealer wants a couple hundred for labor cost to do that which I know I could probably do in just a few minutes time. Instead I will likely just guess at how much gas I have and make sure I keep it toped off. I'm not paying some jerk a ton of money to fix my ski just because he happens to be the only guy in town that can do it.

+1
    I don't think fixing a cracked gauge cluster has anything to do with BUDS...

According to the Repair/Service Manual it does. Just about anything electrical other than replacing a wire requires BUDS. PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Squintz View Post
    According to the Repair/Service Manual it does. Just about anything electrical other than replacing a wire requires BUDS. PITA.
    Pete's Cycle strikes again huh?

Have you asked them what it would cost to plug it into the computer and make everything play nice if you did the install yourself?

+1
    On my conversion ski I used a gauge cluster that had no relation whatsoever to the MPEM or ECU that I was using and BUDS was not required. The ECU and MPEM had never been mated to the gauge cluster and the ECU was not programmed to accept it. It was simply plug and play.

Get used to it its the way things work anymore. On a few of the GM vehicles a simple window switch requires a software load to activate it just like BUDS..... Radios, BCM's..... crap they boast 10meg downloads of god knows what. Cant even rotate tires without the tools to reset the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Squintz View Post

I'm not paying some jerk a ton of money to fix my ski just because he happens to be the only guy in town that can do it.
    Isnt that kinda how business works? If your the only one who can do it in town, then charge w/e you want. Its like a dang amusement park, you can't take in food, so they have you stuck, and charge like 3x the price for food then it should cost.

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Isnt that kinda how business works? If your the only one who can do it in town, then charge w/e you want. Its like a dang amusement park, you can't take in food, so they have you stuck, and charge like 3x the price for food then it should cost.
    damn near extortion these days

Thread Information