+1

Seems a little fishy...

So I was checking out ebay today, and ran across this deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...1%7C240%3A1318

I even went as far as checking NADA value ($5870 low/ $6640 avg). At first I figured this guy probably forgot to charge the battery or something stupid like that. Maybe an easy fix. Get a good deal... Then I noticed the guy's email addy... Rockytopmotorsports... REALLY??? I mean they are a motorcycle dealer and all, but come on... Something sounds fishy to me... Anyone have any input?

I saw that ad the other night and thought the price was high for a RXP that needed work.

If the engine will not make a complete revolution you can bet that the problem's more serious than a discharged battery. To the extent the seller indicates sales tax will be collected it makes me think he's a dealer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the supercharger washers failed and caused the timing chain to break. If that's the case, repairs can get pretty expensive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Lake View Post
    I saw that ad the other night and thought the price was high for a RXP that needed work.

If the engine will not make a complete revolution you can bet that the problem's more serious than a discharged battery. To the extent the seller indicates sales tax will be collected it makes me think he's a dealer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the supercharger washers failed and caused the timing chain to break. If that's the case, repairs can get pretty expensive.
    Yeah that's what I thought too. I'm a 2 stroke guy, but was thinking of breaking into the 4stroke scene in the near future. My BRP 4tec knowledge is limited, but it just sounded fishy to me.

I'm also guessing he is a dealer. I googled rockytopmotorsports, and they look like a motorcycle dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by dcman4usn View Post

I even went as far as checking NADA value ($5870 low/ $6640 avg). At first I figured this guy probably forgot to charge the battery or something stupid like that. Maybe an easy fix. Get a good deal... Then I noticed the guy's email addy... Rockytopmotorsports... REALLY??? I mean they are a motorcycle dealer and all, but come on... Something sounds fishy to me... Anyone have any input?
    Ad says he used synthetic oil. Isn't regular oil as opposed to synthetic the proper oil?

+1

How is it that a guy does his own wrenching (oil change/filter/plugs) and own or work at some type of dealership and can't figure or even want to know why it's not running prior to a sale? BOGUS!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    How is it that a guy does his own wrenching (oil change/filter/plugs) and own or work at some type of dealership and can't figure or even want to know why it's not running prior to a sale? BOGUS!!!

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking... I was a mechanic before I joined the Navy, and whenever ANYTHING I own breaks, I fix it... At least diagnose the problem, state in the ad what is wrong, and don't screw someone over...

I see he had some offers...wonder what they were?

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking... I was a mechanic before I joined the Navy, and whenever ANYTHING I own breaks, I fix it... At least diagnose the problem, state in the ad what is wrong, and don't screw someone over...

I see he had some offers...wonder what they were?
    If he suspects that the problem is really bad, but doesn't diagnose, then technically he's got no idea what's wrong with it and isn't trying to dick someone over.

Doesn't make it any less of a shitty thing to do though. Gotta feel bad for whoever buys it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crueldude View Post
    Ad says he used synthetic oil. Isn't regular oil as opposed to synthetic the proper oil?
    Yes!!

+1
    He also may have clear ownership of the boat but I guarantee you he does not have a title.

TN does not title PWC.

Also note that the pic did not have registration numbers on the boat.

I am not conviced it was a scam, per say, but something screwy was going on.

+1
    i saw this ad to i think its a scam... try contacting this place and see if its real http://www.rockytopmotorsportsinc.com/

Thread Information