Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SHO Spark plugs

SHO Spark plugs

Anyone hear if they changed the time to change the plugs due to cracking? Was told that it was changed from 100hrs to 50 hrs...any truth??

ALSO, Anyone have a good place to buy the NGK LFR6A plugs cheaper than dealer
    @ $11.00 each??

Thanks in advance...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crewdawg View Post
    Anyone hear if they changed the time to change the plugs due to cracking? Was told that it was changed from 100hrs to 50 hrs...any truth??

ALSO, Anyone have a good place to buy the NGK LFR6A plugs cheaper than dealer
    @ $11.00 each??

Thanks in advance...
    I have not heard that.

Do an google search on the spark plug model and that may find you some cheaper ones.

Haven't seen the plugs anywhere and not even listed on the NGK site. Some folks have the LFR6A-11 but not the 6A. Strange...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crewdawg View Post
    Haven't seen the plugs anywhere and not even listed on the NGK site. Some folks have the LFR6A-11 but not the 6A. Strange...
    Advance auto parts has the 11's for $4 each. The only difference according to the site was the gap from the factory. I used them, after adjusting the gap and no problems so far.

Yea, found those around and cheap too. Wondered if they would be OK down here in Fla... Thks

I found the cr9eb for my FXHO, @ O'reilly auto parts for $3.39 plus tax, the best on the web, was $6.25, from e-bay.

I gave Michele a call at my local O'reilly's, and she says 3-5 days, at least, and is e-mailing the factory for time and price. When she calls back, I will update.

bpunta, how much different was the gap, did you use anit-seize compound, did you use a torque wrench, and if you did, what inch pounds did you use?

Thanks.

+1
    I'm not a big fan of NGK plugs. Anyone know what the Autolite equivilant would be? Also anyone running more boost 10+ psi gone to any colder plugs?
    Last edited by hitman; 07-08-2009 at 10:47 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnta View Post
    Advance auto parts has the 11's for $4 each. The only difference according to the site was the gap from the factory. I used them, after adjusting the gap and no problems so far.
    I need to replace mine too. Is 11 the recommended gap from Yamaha? Did they have the solid cap plugs at Advanced? I don't remember the reason, but the tuner I work with told me to use the solid cap ones.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hogpowr View Post
    I found the cr9eb for my FXHO, @ O'reilly auto parts for $3.39 plus tax, the best on the web, was $6.25, from e-bay.

I gave Michele a call at my local O'reilly's, and she says 3-5 days, at least, and is e-mailing the factory for time and price. When she calls back, I will update.

bpunta, how much different was the gap, did you use anit-seize compound, did you use a torque wrench, and if you did, what inch pounds did you use?

Thanks.
    You can go to NGK.com and type in LFR6A and LFR6A11 and you'll see that the 6A has a gap of .035 and the 11 is .044.

Other than that there is no differences according to the specs. I suppose the only reason they are different part numbers is because of the gap. These are "V power" plugs (Electrode is shaped like a "V") and technically you're not supposed to adjust the gap on them.

I don't use a torque wrench. If the plugs are brand new, the metal gasket on them hasn't been pressed. Tighten them to about 3/4 turn past "handtight". If they aren't new, it's 1/4 turn.

And yes, ALWAYS use anti-seize. It's cheap insurance. A $10 bottle on eBay will probably last the rest of your life!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information