Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stage 1 complete, time for more...

So i just got done with the first mods on my 08 gpr. Pump tunnerl reinforcement, D-plate, airbox lid removed, free flow exhaust, PPK,1200 grate, Jetworks mod, stepped sponsons, and HOLY CRAP Ski should have come like this. I actually managed to take an SHO! (idiot driver)

So my question is, what's next? I want to make a 75 mph ski. When i baselined 3 weeks ago (it was probably too cold), but i did a quick pass and hit 65.5 on the etrex, and after the mods i'm actually at about the same speed, which i'm ok with since i heard the grate usually takes 1 mph. However i love the holeshot and want to keep the 1200 to 75 if possible.

So i figure my next mods should either be a jims plate, a fuel controller, or a prop (DF 14/20?) What's most important to do since i can't do it all at once? I hear from some people you don't need a fuel controller till you port, raise comp, or do a keyway, and others say it works to richen up a stock boat. Also is it too early for me to get a prop?

I do plan on milling the head in the future, and probably getting leo's holeshot kit as well.

Aside from all the stuff i have listed, what else will i need to hit 75 consistently and reliably?

Thanks for the help guys, you all rock, helped me turn this ski into an aquatic missle

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    So i just got done with the first mods on my 08 gpr. Pump tunnerl reinforcement, D-plate, airbox lid removed, free flow exhaust, PPK,1200 grate, Jetworks mod, stepped sponsons, and HOLY CRAP Ski should have come like this. I actually managed to take an SHO! (idiot driver)

So my question is, what's next? I want to make a 75 mph ski. When i baselined 3 weeks ago (it was probably too cold), but i did a quick pass and hit 65.5 on the etrex, and after the mods i'm actually at about the same speed, which i'm ok with since i heard the grate usually takes 1 mph. However i love the holeshot and want to keep the 1200 to 75 if possible.

So i figure my next mods should either be a jims plate, a fuel controller, or a prop (DF 14/20?) What's most important to do since i can't do it all at once? I hear from some people you don't need a fuel controller till you port, raise comp, or do a keyway, and others say it works to richen up a stock boat. Also is it too early for me to get a prop?

I do plan on milling the head in the future, and probably getting leo's holeshot kit as well.

Aside from all the stuff i have listed, what else will i need to hit 75 consistently and reliably?

Thanks for the help guys, you all rock, helped me turn this ski into an aquatic missle
    Jims plate should be good for 4-5 mph....

+1
    The free flow and fuel controller will not do you any good without a higher compression head, reeds and a keyway. Jims plate will get you 3-4 mph when set up with a properly sealed and aligned pump shoe.

so my next purchase should be a jims plate, and then after that do a milled head, fuel controller, and 14/20 prop all at once? I would love to do the keyway, but i really don't want to pull the motor, or do anything that intense.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    I would love to do the keyway, but i really don't want to pull the motor, or do anything that intense.

the worst part of a keyway is pulling that darn exhaust. you can do it in the ski, with a puller kit from autozone/ advanced auto on the loan a tool program.

Quote Originally Posted by great lakes gpr 1200 View Post

the worst part of a keyway is pulling that darn exhaust. you can do it in the ski, with a puller kit from autozone/ advanced auto on the loan a tool program.
    i'm a mechanic so i have a puller, but i'd imagine you have to pull the entire exhaust?

i'm a mechanic so i have a puller, but i'd imagine you have to pull the entire exhaust?
    I think I just left the exhaust manifold on mine and pulled the rest. Hardest part it getting the flywheel off with a puller. If your a mechanic it shouldn't be hard for you. You have to take off the front cover which also is the front motor mounts. Just slide a board under the motor to support it.

You need an aftermarket tach to see your exact rpms. This is a must have on a ski so you know your engine it making the power it should and also selecting a prop. The free flow is robbing you some top speed at this point.

I think your next mod should be an after market plate. Jim's, island racing, or take an r&d plate and mod yourself. Easy speed increase there. 2-4mph.

To get 75mph your going to need all bolt ons- reeds, keyway, head, efi controller, probably a 14/21- 14/22 prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    I think I just left the exhaust manifold on mine and pulled the rest. Hardest part it getting the flywheel off with a puller. If your a mechanic it shouldn't be hard for you. You have to take off the front cover which also is the front motor mounts. Just slide a board under the motor to support it.

You need an aftermarket tach to see your exact rpms. This is a must have on a ski so you know your engine it making the power it should and also selecting a prop. The free flow is robbing you some top speed at this point.

I think your next mod should be an after market plate. Jim's, island racing, or take an r&d plate and mod yourself. Easy speed increase there. 2-4mph.

To get 75mph your going to need all bolt ons- reeds, keyway, head, efi controller, probably a 14/21- 14/22 prop.
    YEP+1 GREAT POST
    this is very true"To get 75mph your going to need all bolt ons- reeds, keyway, head, efi controller, probably a 14/21- 14/22 prop.

every MPH after 73 cost dollars! But it sounds like you already have an addiction, so before you take an other drink from that bottle of speed... make sure this is what you want...
    There are a lot of us speed junkies out here!

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    a properly sealed and aligned pump shoe.
    SEAL THAT SHOE.. yep yep.. read on setting your shoe. This will rob more speed then a cement block dragging behind you!

as one who went the same direction as you.. My advice would be automatically get Jims plate (tuned correct).. Efi controller (shouldnt spend more than 270 on here) .. and a 14/20. .. let jim mill your head to 150 psi.. and then go rip to 71-72 mph...next stage.. Porting, Reeds, Keyway . 14/22 and you have 77 mph IMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information