Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rxp turns over but no start

well i just got a non running rxp for a good price, guy said it would run good for hours then die on him, then eventually couldnt get it started at all and it would just turn over. when i plug in the key, it beeps and says the word "sensor" on the dash. What does this mean. fuel pump has been changed, and some kind of fuel controller or whatever it is that controls the fuel. im not too familiar with 4tecs just yet. ski has 153 hours on it, dealer said just need a new ecu?? where do i start with it?

Sensor means that one of the sensors (not part of the engine management system) are not functioning or disconnected. It could be the compass, air temp, lake temp, speeometer. It could also be cause by a mismatch between what is marked equipped in the ECU and the actual hardware on the ski. This happens to RXPs when the battery discharges or is disconnected for a while. Press the Set key 5 times to get the fault code which will identify the sensor. The only way to test an ECU is to swap with a known good one. Of course, you will have to use the correct key with the known good ECU. What year is the ski, because not all ECUs are compatible?... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Sensor means that one of the sensors (not part of the engine management system) are not functioning or disconnected. It could be the compass, air temp, lake temp, speeometer. It could also be cause by a mismatch between what is marked equipped in the ECU and the actual hardware on the ski. This happens to RXPs when the battery discharges or is disconnected for a while. Press the Mode key 5 times to get the fault code which will identify the sensor. The only way to test an ECU is to swap with a known good one. Of course, you will have to use the correct key with the known good ECU. What year is the ski, because not all ECUs are compatible?... Ron
    its an 04, there are no one i know with rxps, but i am about to just buy one on hulk for 170 shipped, its for an 05 rxp but 04 and 05 are the same right?

That's right. And $170 is a good price... Ron

ok i went and hit the set button 5 times and its reading P-0231, just looked it up on the chart and it has to do with fuel, bad connection with ecm or bad pins or shorted wires, whats the least time consuming way to go about finding the problem, what should i do first?

It has to do with fuel pump. Have you verified that battery and ground are present at the fuel pump? Have you tried spraying starting fluid into the TB? If it fires with starting fluid, there is no fuel pressure in the fuel rail = bad fuel pump... Ron

It has to do with fuel pump. Have you verified that battery and ground are present at the fuel pump? Have you tried spraying starting fluid into the TB? If it fires with starting fluid, there is no fuel pressure in the fuel rail = bad fuel pump... Ron
    might be bad ground maybe, fuel pump was just replaced by the dealer by the previous guy about a week ago, he got fed up with it and decided to sell the ski, so i picked it up. ill check the ground wire to the pump tomorrow, mean while i have another ecu on the way with the key, will the fault code go away on its own if the problem is fixed??

Fault codes go away when you unplug the lanyard but can still be read with BUDS... Ron

Fault codes go away when you unplug the lanyard but can still be read with BUDS... Ron

alright, well i got another ecu on the way to try, im going to try spraying starting fluid in the throttle body, thanks for the help man i appreciate it.

i also noticed the fuel pump does not kick on, the pump was replaced about two weeks ago, what i found on the mpem was a 30 amp fuse where the 10 amp fuse goes for the fuel pump. what can this hurt? its the ecu that controls the fuel pump correct, will be testing the new ecu tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information