Mercury optimax 250 jet drive performance?

I just purchased a left over Sugar Sand Mirage 18ft (weighs 2100lbs) has optimax 250hp jet drive, love the boat but not much top end 50 mph max anything I can do? Solas makes a prop for it but doesn't give any performance numbers just says "better take off and top end" I had a hard time finding trim tabs that would work because of hull shape but luckily came across this set up and should show up anyday

but don't expect any real speed gain from it just a better more controlable ride especially in chop. Any ideas on picking up speed? Mercury says it will pick up another 500 rpms when it gets past breakin period when the computer decreases oil mixture so it runs leaner. Guess I fell for all the exagerations on the net saying their Mirages ran 55 and 60 mph...Urgh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat.jpg 
Views:	1086 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	128696  

I would have thought you would get a bit more top end with the 250 Optimax and a 18' boat. I have the 200 Opti in my Utopia 185, and can get 44.6 mph GPS with three 200lb people and half a tank of fuel. Were you using the speedo, or a GPS?

With any aftermarket impeller you will typically gain bottom end, but lose a few miles an hour on the top so I'm not sure about their claims of getting both (someone who has used the impeller may chime in). Mercury also makes their own high performance impeller as well that I read on a river boat forum will give you a better pull on the top than the Solas. Part number 47-883796T01. I have not tried either of them myself so I can't give you any real world test opinions, but use the part number and Google to do some searching.

Get rid of the poor clearances (25-30 thou) from the factory aluminum wear ring and give a UHMW one a try (5 thou!) clearance equals:
    1. Better hole shot
    2. Faster cornering
    3. at least 3 times the wear rate
    4. better fuel mileage
    5. Better top end - 200 rpm lower

Contact Mark at Steel Industries in Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada to have it done: (780) 532-5551
    And you though us Canadians were all igloo bound, common now, we get at least 1 month of boating in a season!!

Thread Information