Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SL750 Motor - rebuild or get new?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just purchased 2 jetskis, one is a 1994 SL750 and the other is a 1994 SL650. The 750 had a major motor crank failure. It took out the upper case, bottom of the center jug and the reed. The piston and head also took a beating and have lots of dings and shrapnel in them.
    My question is should I rebuild the motor with a "new" crank and case, and center piston/jug/head? or should I just go with a "new" motor? I currently have a crank for it, but would need the center jug and case.
    What is you guys' opinion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

I will let others comment on the economics of rebuilding vs. replacing your Fuji 750 engine.

In the meantime, click here for the Service Manuals and other useful info.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk Mezz.

In my opinion,the crankshaft is the most expensive part of the engine.I would get the cases and cylinder on E-bay and build what you have.

The rebuilt engine companies usually charge you extra if your old engine is not rebuilable (cracked cases-cylinders) so you pay for those parts anyway.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Welcome to Green Hulk Mezz.

In my opinion,the crankshaft is the most expensive part of the engine.I would get the cases and cylinder on E-bay and build what you have.

The rebuilt engine companies usually charge you extra if your old engine is not rebuilable (cracked cases-cylinders) so you pay for those parts anyway.
    Welcome to the Hulk.

I agree with casey. ^^^^^^^^

Or you can sell your good crank, then buy a 750 short block from John Zigler as another option.

I did find a used motor locally, so that is the direction I am currently leaning. The motor I found has a rebuilt top end with new pistons and new crank seals. The reason for the rebuild was because it was starting to lose compression. I am going to find out more details tonight when I give the guy a call. He wants $600 for it, which sounds like pretty good deal to me. If I pick that up, I will most likely sell the good parts that I have from the dead motor.

As of right now I am going to keep the crank. I was told when I purchased my other ski, the SL650, it had a bad crank, but I am still doing some diagnosing. I was also told it wont go past half throttle, which sounds like a fueling problem to me.

$600 sounds like a lot....for a motor. I have bought running skies for 1/2 that and pulled the motors out. I would say don't jump on it to quick, there are better deals out there if you have time.....

I have yet to find anything cheaper than that anywhere. You can't even find a running ski for that price around here. Ebay also has the motors going for right around $600 so, it doesn't seem that far out in left field.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I think $600 for a good running engine is very good.

Most short blocks cost around that much after shipping.

Mezz, do a compression test and crank index on the engine before you buy it if possible.

Hate to see you spend that much $$$ and need to do repairs.

Plus the $$ you get for your good parts will decrease your out of pocket cost for the swapper.

Where are you located? I know different parts of the country command different prices, here in the midwest.....you can get whole running skis for $400- $500.... i have bought them for that....

I bought the motor I found. Guy took for $450 for the whole ski. It is a 1993 SL750. The hull is in pretty rough shape, but the motor has a new topend in it and runs good. The carbs need some work, as it floods if it idles for too long. I can see the center carb fill with fuel as it sits so I know it is a carb problem.

Is there anything i need to do to make this motor work with my 1994 CDI? I know the timing is different between '93 and '94, but that is all in the CDI, corect?

If anyone needs any parts from it let me know. All I plan on keeping is the motor from it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information