Phantom Silver/Valiant Blue FTW! AllenUltra250X's Avatar

Coming out of hibernation.

It's time for my Ultra to wake up and get ready for the season. It was winterized by the dealer in the end of September 08.

I recently visted the dealer and asked them what to do before I take it out. Basically, they said hook the battery back up, maybe add some gas and go. I don't have 100% of my trust with the dealership. So, I figured I would ask the experts.

The lake we go to is about 50 miles from my house. I don't want to take it out, and it not run right after we just drove 100 miles round trip. I do have a lake about a mile from my house, but its definitely not a jetski lake. Not even a ski lake.

My plan is to hook it up to the waterhose to see if it will even crank, and maybe let it idle for about 5 minutes. Then back it down into the lake by my house and let it idle on the trailer. Is it safe to give it gas while its on the trailer as long as the back end is in the water?

If it runs right, I'll probably take it for a little spin. I'm terrified that the dealer didn't do something right and my ski is gonna blow on its first start up.

wow well if u think its gona blow on start up then i dont know take the risk but make sure the spark plugs and battery n all are all connected. but if u have time i wud take it to a different dealer for a lil check up n c if everything is good.

but first start it let it run for 30 secs or so then attact the hose n u kno what to do aftrr that but idk if everything works good then take it for a spin but dont full throttle as soon as u go out wait a lil while.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenUltra250X View Post
    It's time for my Ultra to wake up and get ready for the season. It was winterized by the dealer in the end of September 08.

I recently visted the dealer and asked them what to do before I take it out. Basically, they said hook the battery back up, maybe add some gas and go. I don't have 100% of my trust with the dealership. So, I figured I would ask the experts.

The lake we go to is about 50 miles from my house. I don't want to take it out, and it not run right after we just drove 100 miles round trip. I do have a lake about a mile from my house, but its definitely not a jetski lake. Not even a ski lake.

My plan is to hook it up to the waterhose to see if it will even crank, and maybe let it idle for about 5 minutes. Then back it down into the lake by my house and let it idle on the trailer. Is it safe to give it gas while its on the trailer as long as the back end is in the water?

If it runs right, I'll probably take it for a little spin. I'm terrified that the dealer didn't do something right and my ski is gonna blow on its first start up.

Do you have any reason to believe that there may be an issue or is it just that you dont trust your dealer?

The jet ski will be perfectly safe if you hook the hose up and let it idle. I have done that for :20+ minutes during winter once a month so it doesn't just sit. You will be ok if you want to give it a rev or 2...just don't keep it pinned.

+1

spring start up

firts you want to have the battery fully charged with clean terminals on both battery and ski.
    2nd. if you didn't change the oil and filter in the fall, change it now. also throw in a new set of plugs-ngk pmr9b at 113"lbs. (very light).
    run on the hose for 5 mins. wipe out engine compartment if its dirty. spray down engine compartment with crc-656 or wd-40(best if you use gallon poured into spray bottle). make sure you remove rear grab bar and spray down intercooler and waterboxes

Fired up the Ultra this afternoon on the waterhouse.

Charged the battery up, and reconnected everything. One hit of the magical green button and it jumped to life and purred. Let it run for about 3-4 minutes then shut it off.

It ran nice and smooth, just like its supposed to. I checked it today, and it has exactly 35 hours on it. It's held up well with no problems. Its still the best looking ski on the market and Blue/Silver is still the best color combo.

Now I just need my 260X touring seat.

Took the Ultra out for a weekend at the lake. Took about 4-5 seconds for it to fire up, but once started it ran smooth. Idled out, gave it some gas, planed out, ran beautiful.

I ran it easy for about 30 minutes before I rode it hard. WOT, it accelerated like it should, and boost meter went all the way up to 10. Killed it, and it started right back up.

I love my Ultra!

Colin....I really hope that you dont crank your ski, let it run for 30 seconds then hook it up to the garden hose thats not good. the service manual says not to run the engine for more than 15 seconds, "or severe engine and exhaust system damage will occur."

BTW, my Ultra now has 43 hard hours on it.

All of them being care-free.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by axelderhund View Post
    Colin....I really hope that you dont crank your ski, let it run for 30 seconds then hook it up to the garden hose thats not good. the service manual says not to run the engine for more than 15 seconds, "or severe engine and exhaust system damage will occur."
    rubbish i let mine run for a minute without the hose weekly

Thread Information