2003 MSX 140 (Fuel Pump/Computer)

I found a 2003 MSX 140 freshwater, 120 hours for $1200 including a single trailer. The ski ran into a dock several years ago and was not repaired. The steering coupler failed which is the reason for the collision. The ski went under the dock which ripped off the mirrors and pulled up the handlebars and broke the throttle cable. There are a few scratches on the hood but no hull damage.

I inspected the ski and was told it was started the day before I saw it. We tried to start it when I was there but it did not run. We had to jump it off with a P/U truck. I did confirm that the spark plugs were firing. It appeared that the fuel pump was not delivering any pressure. We pushed a pin into the schrader valve on the fuel rail and did not see any fuel. We did not have a fuel pump gage. I called a Polaris dealer and he ran the HIN and confirmed that all of the recall services have been performed. He told me it is common to fry the computer by jump starting it with another vehicle. I have a few questions:

1. Do the steering couplers fail frequently?
    2. If I have a spark at the plugs and the display is working (it displayed the 120 hour run time) can the computer be failed?
    3. Can jump starting fail the computer?
    4. The OEM fuel pump assy includes filter, level sending unit and pump for $300. Can I replace just the pump? Is there an aftermarket pump?
    5. How can I tell if the injectors are working?
    6. If the cost of the repair exceeds my budget, could I part out the ski and get back most of the $1200?

I plan to check compression and inspect the fuel pump fuse on my next visit.

I have been very impressed with the technical knowledge shared on this site.

Thanks,

Tony

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrouillette View Post
    I found a 2003 MSX 140 freshwater, 120 hours for $1200 including a single trailer. The ski ran into a dock several years ago and was not repaired.
    Was the engine fogged and prepared for storage?

What you don't want is rust to have set in on the steel roller bearings in the crank case.
    The normal 2-stroke oil offers reasonable protection, but fogging is the insurance against corrosion over long periods of time.

Without taking the engine apart, it can be hard to tell if there is surface rust happening in there.
    Perhaps you could pull the intake manifold and reed cases, and use a mirror

The steering coupler failed which is the reason for the collision. The ski went under the dock which ripped off the mirrors and pulled up the handlebars and broke the throttle cable. There are a few scratches on the hood but no hull damage.

I inspected the ski and was told it was started the day before I saw it. We tried to start it when I was there but it did not run. We had to jump it off with a P/U truck.

I did confirm that the spark plugs were firing.

It appeared that the fuel pump was not delivering any pressure. We pushed a pin into the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and did not see any fuel. We did not have a fuel pump gauge.

I called a Polaris dealer and he ran the HIN and confirmed that all of the recall services have been performed.
    Good!

He told me it is common to fry the computer by jump starting it with another vehicle. I have a few questions:

1. Do the steering couplers fail frequently?
    What exactly failed?

2. If I have a spark at the plugs and the display is working (it displayed the 120 hour run time) can the computer be failed?
    Possibly. The ignition is just one section of the EMM.

3. Can jump starting fail the computer?
    Jump starting any PWC can fry the computer or other electronics, especially if the truck engine was running. Certainly true for Polaris.
    Hopefully you didn't do any damage, but it is not a good omen.

4. The OEM fuel pump assy includes filter, level sending unit and pump for $300.
    Can I replace just the pump? Is there an aftermarket pump?

No aftermarket pump available, but yours is probably good, or can be repaired.

5. How can I tell if the injectors are working?
    You can feel and hear them clicking, but it helps if you know what a normal one sounds like
    You can remove the retaining bolts to lift one out (PTO is easiest), and see/feel if it is spraying, but you need fuel pressure first.

6. If the cost of the repair exceeds my budget, could I part out the ski and get back most of the $1200?
    Probably, especially if the engine is mechanically good.
    The trailer must be worth something too.

I plan to check compression and inspect the fuel pump fuse on my next visit...
    Take some spare fuses with you.
    Welcome!

Click here for the Service Manuals, and links to lots of other useful info.

It is common for the Ficht fuel pump pressure regulator to fall off inside the pump, inside the tank. When this happens, the fuel pump still runs, but fuel pressure is very low.
    It should still start despite the low fuel pressure
    Click here for info on the pressure regulator fix.

Since this machine suffered a big impact, the wires around and under the steering area may have been damaged, or connectors yanked apart. The fuel pump wiring is right there, so use a light and mirror and check things carefully.

It is encouraging that you have spark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200021.JPG 
Views:	549 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	128836  

Thanks for the reply and info. The steering component taht failed was part number 5631307, Steering Arm.

I doubt the engine was fogged.

+1
    Is this the ski in Gonzalez la.?

Thread Information