Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 stroke fuel additive

Are there any fuel additives or fuel stabilizers out there that are safe for 2 stroked motors? I ask for a few reasons.

1: I am from the school of thought that you were supposed to pull your 2 stroke carbs before every season to clean jets, bowls, etc. After getting the flame arrestor off I realized this looks like a very involved process on the GP1200 I just bought. How often do you clean these, and is there a fuel additive that will clean carbs and prevent varnish buildup in tanks and lines.

2: As a boat owner I am constantly aware of the growing concern with ethanol in gasoline and the effect it has on marine engines. My friend who owns a power equipment maintenance shop also said about 90% of his repairs are fuel related. Does anyone out there run any type of fuel stabilizer regularly that is safe for 2 stroke, oil injected motors?

+1
    Welcome to the forum. After rebuilding many sets of carbs for two stroke motors, I can tell you the cleanest ones internaly are the ones that run pre-mix. If you are going to store your craft I suggest using sta-bil in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    If you are going to store your craft I suggest using sta-bil in the tank.
    Sta-bil VS. Startron?

I like startron better... But I'm not exactly sure why

+1
    As someone who works/worked on all types of small engines and has had to rebuild 100's of carbs a year.....I say use Sta-bil

Thing is, if you do not use it properly, it won't do a thing.

I am not about to type out all the details again on proper use, but I will say to remember to subtract the amount of stabilizer from the total amount of fuel that you use in your pre-mix.

Example: You would add 4oz of Sta-bil, subtract that amount of fuel from your fuel/oil mix. Otherwise you will be off on you mix. It may not be much, but it will be off.

Also, Seafoam in NOT a fuel stabilizer. Period.

+1
    I've been running StaBil all the time in all my seasonal engines (watercraft, lawnmower, water pump, pressure washer, etc.) for the last couple of years.

I have an old car that only gets driven about 50 miles per year. I finally drained the gas out and refilled with fresh, but it ran fine on gas that was 23 months old (treated with StaBil).

It is important to keep the tank full to prevent condensation. Especially true if you have to run ethanol fuel.

I second Steve45 on keeping the tank full, but I'll add another reason. When the tank is full, there is less air/oxygen/room for the fuel to evaporate/deteriorate. Sta-bil has been around for a long time for a reason...it works. However, if you read on the bottle it says it's only good for I think 60 or 90 days. Most people put it in and forget about it. That's still better than not putting it in at all though.

I spoke with a friend recently and he said Briggs and Stratton has a fuel stabilizer out that he has been using lately. Supposed to last longer than stabil. I have not had a chance to look into it.

I use seafoam to clean and as a stabilzer

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheapa$$ View Post
    I spoke with a friend recently and he said Briggs and Stratton has a fuel stabilizer out that he has been using lately. Supposed to last longer than stabil. I have not had a chance to look into it.
    It's junk compared to Sta-bil.

I sell both, and 95% of the problems are from those who use the B&S and Seafoam. Then again, don't use the Sta-bil properly and you will also have troubles.

Seafoam is NOT a stabilizer. I don't care what it says on the bottle, read what it is made out of. The MSDS also are of value here.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling20s View Post
    ...if you read on the bottle it says it's only good for I think 60 or 90 days...
    Fresh gasoline with Sta-bil mixed in will last a lot longer than 90 days.

Fresh, untreated gasoline (without ethanol) is good for roughly 60-90 days. Fresh untreated gasoline with ethanol blend starts degrades faster than straight gasoline.

From the Gold Eagle web site;

"Q: How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer keep fuel fresh?
    A: For 12 months when mixed into fresh gasoline. Doubling the dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years. "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information