Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4tec question

4tec question

I just bought an 07 rxp 215. This is my first 4 stroke pwc motor. When I start it up and rev the throttle just a bit i see some smoke. Is that normal for a 4 stroke? I have owned 2 stokes only and understand why they do it.

+1
    What color is the smoke?

my '04 wakes smoke a bit and always have (white smoke, looks like fog). Was told at the shop that seadoos are tuned to run a little rich because they want them to run ok on California gasoline which has a higher percentage of ethanol and they don't want them to run lean.
    -Brad

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    What color is the smoke?
    Its white

+1
    It's ok then. White smoke is just condensation in the exhaust.

+1
    basically steam from the exhaust getting hot.
    watch your antifreeze level after a few rides, if it is always dropping, that would be bad.
    but most likely its the steam from he water in the exhaust.

+1
    gsxr800,
    There is steam, and then there is smoke. A little steam out the exhaust is normal, but white smoke coming out of your engine compartment is NOT normal. I have seen both white smoke and the exhaust steam and they are not the same. Keep an eye on your oil level, did you get a manual? If you did then read the section about checking oil level carefully, many people do not understand how to properly check and add oil to these watercraft. As a result, these craft are often running in an over-filled condition or an under-filled condition.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_720 View Post
    my '04 wakes smoke a bit and always have (white smoke, looks like fog). Was told at the shop that seadoos are tuned to run a little rich because they want them to run ok on California gasoline which has a higher percentage of ethanol and they don't want them to run lean.
    -Brad
    Concidering seadoo's are made in canada a based out of Quebec i doubt they tune them "only" for california considering thats a very small % of they total sales world wide, If anything they would be tuned to canadian specs. Only time i ever see exhaust smoke is when its running on the trailer.

I'm just the messenger. It doesn't really matter, if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

I bought mine in Texas and it had the CARB stickers on it. Believe what you want but I believe that my Canadian manufactured Seadoo, purchased in Texas, is "tuned" to run on California gasoline.
    Edit:
    Something else to consider - running rich leads to fouled plugs, running lean leads to engine damage. Warranty considerations are probably in the back f their mind as well.

Seadoos website has this:

CARB 3-Star certified
    Sea-Doo watercraft are some of the most environmentally-friendly boats on the water today. In fact, the entire Sea-Doo lineup is CARB 3-STAR certified from the California Air Resource Board for ultra low emission and BRP is the only manufacturer whose entire line-up is CARB 3-STAR certified*.

California Air Resource Board (CARB) website has this:

What is cleaner-burning gasoline?
    Cleaner-burning gasoline is fuel that meets requirements established by the Air Resources Board (ARB). All gasoline sold in California for use in motor vehicles must meet these requirements, which have been in effect since Spring 1996. Cleaner-burning gasoline reduces smog-forming emissions from motor vehicles by 15 percent and reduces cancer risk from exposure to motor vehicle toxics by about 40 percent.
    There are eight basic specifications for cleaner-burning gasoline. They are:
    1. Reduced sulfur content. Sulfur inhibits the effectiveness of catalytic converters. Cleaner-burning gasoline enables catalytic converters to work more effectively and further reduce tailpipe emissions.
    2. Reduced benzene content. Benzene is known to cause cancer in humans. Cleaner-burning gasoline has about one-half the benzene of earlier gasoline, thus reducing cancer risks.
    3. Reduced levels of aromatic hydrocarbons, which react readily with other pollutants to form smog.
    4. Reduced levels of olefins, which also react readily with other pollutants to form smog.
    5. Reduced vapor pressure, which ensures that gasoline evaporates less readily.
    6. Two specifications for reduced distillation temperatures, which ensure the gasoline burns more completely.
    7. (See Number 6.)
    8. Use of an oxygen-containing additive, such as MTBE or ethanol, which also helps the gasoline burn more cleanly.

And

U.S. Gas To Become More Like California Gas
    Since 1995, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has required the nation’s smoggiest metropolitan areas to use reformulated gasoline that provides about one-half the air-quality benefits of California’s cleaner-burning gasoline. In 2000, U.S. EPA required those areas to use cleaner gasoline that provides most but not all of the benefits of California gasoline. In addition, U.S. EPA plans to implement low-sulfur requirements that will bring gasoline in the rest of the nation closer to California standards.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    Concidering seadoo's are made in canada a based out of Quebec i doubt they tune them "only" for california considering thats a very small % of they total sales world wide, If anything they would be tuned to canadian specs. Only time i ever see exhaust smoke is when its running on the trailer.

I have only had a chance to start it on the trailer. not nice enough to put in the water. But it was just a little white smoke at that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information