bilge, trim, and gas gauge not working!!

Hi, I have a 96 sl700.

I was wondering if there are fuses in the electrical box for the bilge, trim, and gas gauge.

Also how does the trim work? Would I be able to tell out of the water if it was working? The gauge for the trim stays at the same spot. Does the engine have to be on for it to work? Is it necessary to have trim?

Also there is no tachometer but when I start the engine the rpms seem to be high. I could post a video if that helps. Thanks.

Is the terminal board just a piece of wood or whatever that connects the wire together or is it a circuit?

I opened up the electrical box and found the fuse for the bilge. Inside it was all corroded and the fuse anchor was loose and a couple of terminals were also loose and not connected to the board.

Can I just glue them back down or connect them to each other. Or should I replace the Board?

Thanks

I am thinking that the problems with the bilge, trim and gas gauge are all related to the corroded terminal board??? If anybody care or would like to help!!

+1
    Yes replace the board it is cheap and easy..
    http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...4/Polaris.aspx

+1
    Hi sebas, Yes the terminal board is simply a place for all the wires to connect,it also holds those wires from flopping around and touching each other.
    The most important connection is at the front of the terminal board,where the 2 regulators are mounted. There mounting plates need to be clean for a good ground. All the other grounds will also go through that connection.

One of those regulators acts like a switch,(the one on the left) When the engine is started,it turns on and supplies power to the orange wires (trim and bilge) it also supplies around 5 volts to the fuel guage on the Red/white stripe wire.I have seen the reg freak out and send 19 volts to the guage.

I do have a terminal board I removed from a 96 SL700,if you need one ,I'll check it's condition,and sell it cheap.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Yes replace the board it is cheap and easy..
    http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...4/Polaris.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    ...I opened up the electrical box
    ...Inside it was all corroded and the fuse anchor was loose and a couple of terminals were also loose and not connected to the board.

... should I replace the Board?
    You should replace the terminal board. There should be zero moisture and corrosion inside that electrical box. Check the box rim seal - is the rubber seal missing or damaged? Replace or repair the seal if it needs it.

Also, check the wire ends for corrosion. They must also be kept clean, and make solid metal to metal contact with the new terminal board.

Smear Nyogel dielectric gel over the terminals and contacts. This protects them from moisture in the air, but you must still make sure the repaired electrical box is water tight.

If you haven't found them yet, click here for the Polaris Service Manuals and other useful info.

Thank you all for your inputs. I finally got the terminal board and installed it today. I replaced most of the connections and cleaned the others. I am happy to say that everything works now. There was no rubber seal for the electric box so I used gasket maker. Is that alright or should I order the rubber gasket?

Also, the fuel separator doesn't have anything inside of it, just gas. When I look it up online to purchase it has all the components, screen, spring, and float. Can somebody please confirm what setup I am supposed to have. It's a 1996 sl700. Also I can't remove it; I think somebody glue it???

Thank you

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    ...fuel separator...I can't remove it; I think somebody glue it???...
    You can probably purchased a good used one, complete, from John Zigler.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The rubber gasket will allow you to remove the box halves. Using the gasket maker, you'll need to cut, scrape, and resilicone the halves every time.

Nothing wrong with it, just a major hassle if you need to remove/replace the fuse.

Older water sperators were didn't have the internals. Nothing wrong with them either.

But the newer ones had the float and a strainer. Helped to show if water was present and didn't need in-line filters.

Thread Information