Thread: 951 DI issues

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1

951 DI issues

Need some help guys. I'm not new to 2 strokes by any means, but i am new to this 04 951 Di in a sport boat. The owner says that it starts cutting out at around 4k rpm. it has 60 hrs. pv's were nasty, so i cleaned them. good spark, fresh plugs. on the hose it sounds like it's running on 1 cylinder until you rev it over 3k rpm. it is also not very responsive to quick throttle changes on the trailer.

i checked compression and it's 115 on both. don't have a good known ski here to verify the gauge, but the gauge was accurate late last year when i used it in my ski's. it seems low. is there a way to check system codes lile the newer ski's without buds? any ideas or suggestions?

thanks,

Mike

Just went through this with my new rebuild on a 951 di check the plug in the fron cover for the pick up off the flywheel. Mine was not pluged in all the way. And sounds like the same problem. And the compression mine was 110 untill i heard you need to hold the throttle wide open. And it puts the engine in flood mode and shuts off the injectors. My compression is 135 after that.

+1
    I'll give that a shot after work. It would be nice if it was something simple like that.

Thanks!

+1
    Knock wood, but I've not had any issues with my DIs, however could this be a fuel delivery problem? Fuel pump or filter? Can you check the fuel pressure? It should be about 102 psi.

+1
    Rechecked compression as black pearl suggested and it is blowing 135psi. also checked the plug on the front and all the plugs that i could find and they are all good. after talking to Dr Len i revved it in forward gear on the trailer and the throttle response is much better and it sounds healthy. gotta get it in the water and check the rectifier.

thanks for all the help so far guys.

+1
    Found the sensors on the side of the throttle bodies (TPS) was bad on one of them before which caused it to run great on the trailer but once in the water it would surge and run like crap, only running on one cylinder. May want to check those sensors Mike.
    SHOOTER

Thread Information