Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

genesis 2000 ffi lost

Check the volts at the injectors when its cranking and then check it again whilst it is running .Minimun 20v for cranking and needs to go to about 40 as you rev it .
    this is what i did. i can unplug the number 2 injector leads and it will fire up i can undo the front injector lead also at the same time it will fire up..not run correctly,however when i hook up the second injector(when all three injectors hooked up) it will just crank but will not start. checking voltage on all three and its kinda crazy 14.5 on 1 14.5 on 2 and 20 on 3...then i recheck and i get 20 on 1 , 20 on 20 on 3 but when the middle goes on it changes them.i know when running it should go up to 45...ok i got one reading of 48 i didnt keep doing this because i dont have it in water it was seconds at a time.emm? stator? flywheel magnets? totally lost here was down all last season.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am not following you.

Are you checking the voltage with all three injectors connected?
    What is injector voltage while cranking, with all three connected?

i pulled them off to check them coming into the injectors.do i need to puncture the wires while plugged into the injectors?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drwebb69 View Post
    i pulled them off to check them coming into the injectors.
    do i need to puncture the wires while plugged into the injectors?
    If you have to pierce a wire, then you have too.

Use a small pin, then smear some silicone over the hole afterwards.

First hunt for a junction, or somewhere where the White/Red wires are accessible. They all carry the same '45 volt DC' voltage.

If you get decent voltage with any two injectors connected, but not with all three, then either the EMM is bad, or the stator has a problem.

The Service manual outlines what AC voltages the stator coils should produce while cranking.

Also carefully examine the two smaller EMM plugs - look for signs of corrosion in either the EMM socket or the cable connector.

lost

thought id add this motor went out two seasons ago family left water in didnt winterize lost two cylinders and crank got another motor then the current problem started couldnt figure it out last season..tought emm.but it will start with out #2 hooked up.checked ends of injectors had a little corrosion cleaned up still same problem.thought individual coils under the seat rail .i just dont know .

lost

i remember having a heck of a time with removing the flywheel i had to use a puller and a butane torch to get it to pop off. do you think i could have messed up the stator that way ?

+1
    thought id add this motor went out two seasons ago family left water in didn't winterize lost two cylinders and crank

got another motor
    then the current problem started

couldn't figure it out last season..thought EMM.

but it will start with out #2 hooked up.checked ends of injectors had a little corrosion cleaned up still same problem.
    thought individual coils under the seat rail...
    I remember having a heck of a time with removing the flywheel I had to use a puller and a butane torch to get it to pop off.
    Do you think i could have messed up the stator that way ?
    The engine was changed?

What year and model was the replacement engine from?

What exactly was swapped over from the rusted engine to the replacement?
    Injectors are from the original engine, or the replacement?
    EMM is matched to the injectors being used?

Using some torch heat to get the flywheel to release is not unusual. Just how hot did you get it?
    When you re-installed the flywheel, are you 100% certain the shaft key was installed correctly?
    While the flywheel was off, did you check that the magnets were all present and in the correct locations?

I think we need to review some of the basics, and make sure we are not missing something important to the diagnosis.

Right now, if you unplug the CEN injector, the engine will start and run, and idle?
    If you connect CEN injector, and unplug either MAG or PTO injector, does it also start and run?

With all three injectors plugged in, it will crank but not start - correct?
    If you dribble a little fuel down each intake throat, will it then start and continue to run with all three injectors connected?

Have you confirmed that all three spark plugs have strong spark while cranking?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The engine was changed?

What year and model was the replacement engine from?2000 genesis

What exactly was swapped over from the rusted engine to the replacement?was a short block no electronics or injectors or emm
    Injectors are from the original engine, or the replacement?original
    EMM is matched to the injectors being used?yes

Using some torch heat to get the flywheel to release is not unusual. Just how hot did you get it?went around a few times it shot off
    When you re-installed the flywheel, are you 100% certain the shaft key was installed correctly?yes
    While the flywheel was off, did you check that the magnets were all present and in the correct locations?one came off after had it put back on in exact same place

I think we need to review some of the basics, and make sure we are not missing something important to the diagnosis.

Right now, if you unplug the CEN injector, the engine will start and run, and idle?takes a little cranking
    If you connect CEN injector, and unplug either MAG or PTO injector, does it also start and run?
    no it just cranks
    If you dribble a little fuel down each intake throat, will it then start and continue to run with all three injectors connected?i will try this one today when it stops raining .im also going to check the center coil ohms 1200-1600?

will check again today.

update

update on injector resistance was checking while cranking (on volts)10.5 across all three .unhook center and get a readin on the other two of 11.5 and it moves around ,.3-.4 but never goes to 12.0 or higher.new gel battery full charge on it .12.0 volts maybe stator

+1
    The engine was changed?

What year and model was the replacement engine from?
    2000 genesis

What exactly was swapped over from the rusted engine to the replacement?
    was a short block no electronics or injectors or emm

Injectors are from the original engine, or the replacement?original
    EMM is matched to the injectors being used?yes

Using some torch heat to get the flywheel to release is not unusual. Just how hot did you get it?
    went around a few times it shot off

When you re-installed the flywheel, are you 100% certain the shaft key was installed correctly?yes

While the flywheel was off, did you check that the magnets were all present and in the correct locations?
    one came off after had it put back on in exact same place

Right now, if you unplug the CEN injector, the engine will start and run, and idle?
    takes a little cranking
    no it just cranks

If you dribble a little fuel down each intake throat, will it then start and continue to run with all three injectors connected?
    i will try this one today when it stops raining .
    I'm also going to check the center coil ohms 1200-1600?

will check again today.
    The replaced magnet may be an issue.

If the magnet polarity was reversed when it was reinstalled, or the magnet is just not quite right, it may cause trouble. I don't know whether it could affect one cylinder more than the others.

Was the magnet chipped or damaged?
    Did you notice any damage to the stator coils or wiring when you had it apart?

A loose magnet can get bounced around between the flywheel and the stator, possibly damaging the stator.

Check the other things mentioned, of course - but let's keep in mind that the stator and/or flywheel may be causing problems.

It is possible there is more than one thing wrong, of course.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information