Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on painting a Trailer? (Pics)

Hey guys, I spent last fall and this winter restoring my ski. Now I've got this ugly Shorelander trailer starting to rust that's begging me to be painted Black. I have zero painting experience outside painting the walls around the house lol. So basically I"m looking for any advice from your experiences here.

My plan was to take a wire cup and hit all the rust spots (Can I leave the non rusty painted surfaces alone?). Then brush on some sort of Rustolium Primer over the whole trailer. Finally brushing on a couple coats of Glossy Black Rustolium. Am I missing anything here? Thanks a TON for any help or advice on products, techniques, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JJLee138 View Post

My plan was to take a wire cup and hit all the rust spots (Can I leave the non rusty painted surfaces alone?). Then brush on some sort of Rustolium Primer over the whole trailer. Finally brushing on a couple coats of Glossy Black Rustolium. Am I missing anything here? Thanks a TON for any help or advice on products, techniques, etc.
    Doing the same thing this summer. Bump for more replies.

I already started on mine and discovered that a grinder works wonders on those rust spots...

+1
    You could just paint over the trailer and rust with some POR-15

http://www.por15.com/

Then over that apply their Blackcote for a glossy finish

I am doing my galvanized trailer over and just applying the Blackcote over the galvanized as per instructions form POR-15

If the weather ever cooperates around here I will update my trailer re-do thread with some progress pics. F'n rain about every weekend...that or 98 degrees!

Quote Originally Posted by NJJer View Post
    You could just paint over the trailer and rust with some POR-15

http://www.por15.com/

Then over that apply their Blackcote for a glossy finish

I am doing my galvanized trailer over and just applying the Blackcote over the galvanized as per instructions form POR-15

If the weather ever cooperates around here I will update my trailer re-do thread with some progress pics. F'n rain about every weekend...that or 98 degrees!
    Well the stuff looks impressive, but at $135 a gallon this project would cost me $200-$300. I'm hoping to keep this project under $75 unless the results are going to be disastrous at that price range. I'd rather touch up the trailer for a couple bucks every couple years than sink that much into it.

Thinking of doing the same to my white rusty trailer. Would like to keep it inexpensive as well..

+1
    I bought 2 qts of the Blackcote. I was told it should be plenty to do my double.

After I stripped it all down, I don't see why not. There is not much left after I removed everything. No fenders to be painted as I am installing new diamond plate ones.

I have the tongue, two side rails, two cross bars, rear bar where the lights are, and two winch bars.

If you have a single, I think a qt of each should do it. That will still be under $100 IIRC.

Just throwing out some ideas. Good luck with it and please post pics along the way.

Jer

I bought 2 qts of the Blackcote. I was told it should be plenty to do my double.

After I stripped it all down, I don't see why not. There is not much left after I removed everything. No fenders to be painted as I am installing new diamond plate ones.

I have the tongue, two side rails, two cross bars, rear bar where the lights are, and two winch bars.

If you have a single, I think a qt of each should do it. That will still be under $100 IIRC.

Just throwing out some ideas. Good luck with it and please post pics along the way.

Jer
    Definitely bro, all ideas welcome. May just go this route. It will be a bit yet. Working on building a PVC stand for the ski 1st. Keep any advice coming if you have it guys.

+1
    PVC stands are fun!

I built one for the water some years ago and still use it.

For the bottom tube, the ones that lay on the ground, I capped off one end, filled it with sand, and then capped off the other end.
    For the uprights, I drilled some holes in them, top and bottom. Small enough not to weaken it, but large enough to allow water in.
    This was done so that it won't float away.

The whole thing breaks down, bottom, and other pcs just slide together. Comes apart in seconds.

Maybe I should post some pics with instructions, and materials list, on how to make these.

PVC stands are fun!

I built one for the water some years ago and still use it.

For the bottom tube, the ones that lay on the ground, I capped off one end, filled it with sand, and then capped off the other end.
    For the uprights, I drilled some holes in them, top and bottom. Small enough not to weaken it, but large enough to allow water in.
    This was done so that it won't float away.

The whole thing breaks down, bottom, and other pcs just slide together. Comes apart in seconds.

Maybe I should post some pics with instructions, and materials list, on how to make these.
    Definately. Would love to see the plans. I'm just building a simple one posted here.

http://stickerpimp.com/graphics/pwc/...tand/index.htm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JJLee138 View Post
    Hey guys, I spent last fall and this winter restoring my ski. Now I've got this ugly Shorelander trailer starting to rust that's begging me to be painted Black. I have zero painting experience outside painting the walls around the house lol. So basically I"m looking for any advice from your experiences here.

Knock the rust down..do a good sand down of the trailer..wipe down the trailer..then apply a good primer buzz bomb and then gloss black buzz bomb, probably like 3 coats. Follow up with a clear. The good thing about doing it like this, is ITS CHEAP..if the trailer ever scratches you can easily blend it back in with spary paint. If you want to get a little more custom, I will share my secret..lol..After the 3rd coat of paint I then go over the trailer with a real light coat of glitter paint, then clear. It sets the trailer off magically when the sun hits it..haha!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t4.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	130857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t5.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	130858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t6.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	130859  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information