RXP Suddenly Loses Performance

If I cut a turn too tight or put the nose under a little, the ski even if floored, struggles to go 40mph! I can hear something 'gurgling' water. This lasts for 30 seconds or so, then I'm back going 70mph... I've recently gone back and done this on purpose to observe the revs. As expected, after putting the nose under and the it starts 'gurgling' water, the revs drop, a lot. After 30 seconds or so, the revs come right back up where they are supposed to be.

I don't know what is going on... Shoot some ideas to what you think it might be.

+1
    Check your pump inlet under the ski or the pump wear ring.....

Did you suck something thru the pump?

Banned User
    Your injesting water somehow..Check your intake for water

The prop looks fine... Wear ring just replaced and no damage whatsoever. How am I supposed to check the intake for water if it clears out within 30 seconds?? If I am ingesting water, how do I make the damn thing eat air and not water haha

+1
    there will be residual water in the intake, or corrosion from it! or white pasty substance in teh intake tract. thats oil with water mixed.
    is your oil milky?? are spark plugs rusted?
    could be you are setting off TOPS sensor from riding so aggressively??

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Your injesting water somehow..Check your intake for water
    Ding, Ding, Ding......I would go for this one By just reading your post....everytime you burry the nose in the water water will always seek the lowest point, so everytime you hit the brakes, Nose dive= water rushing towards the lowest point of what they can.....in your case in the air intake..... or......Your low on fuel and the principle of liquid dissplacement that I just posted applies to fuel too.....and mercury, which you have that will put you in Limp mode for a few sec. , act like water injestion scenario in the air intake Is your head spinning right now? then again the mercury switch should only work sideways it tells you if your ski is upside down

+1
    So I see in you have two 04 RXP's, stg1 & stg2. Are you using the plastic air intake pipe with the K&N filter up front? If so, like others have mentioned, you might be getting the filter wet when your playing submarine captain. Maybe reroute your filter with some Kanaflex, or get some waterproof outerwear material for your filter, or give up on playing submarine with your RXP........submarines are fun though. Let us know what you figure out.
    OBJ

Yea they both got the same air intake up front by the gas tank, but only one does this weird eating water thing. I just swapped out the plugs a few hours ago and they were not rusty, a little gunked up sure, but definitely not rusty. Oil looks fine BUT there does seem to be a little water residue left in the air intake and the little Riva cover thing was a little damp.

How would I go about moving the intake, and where would I move it to? I guess Kanaflex (thanks to OBJ), but I don't have a great idea of what I'm doing yet.

+1
    Kind of wierd that if you are riding both skis the same way(taking in water in the nose) and only one ski is acting up. I wonder if the cover on the filter is an actual outer wear. That material is supposed to shed water but let the air through. Iv'e heard that over time the material looses it's effectiveness. Perhaps it's not an actual outer wear to begin with.
    I just thought of something you might try. Disconnect the 3" plastic intake at the super charger and rig up a temporary intake that you can put your K&N filter onto and maybe mount it up somwhere in the back of the ski. It would'nt be ideal for performance because you'd be drawing in heated engine compartment air rather than cooler air from up front, but you would eliminate the possibility of ingesting water into your intake.

OBJ

I'll give that a try. I'm going to switch back to stock intake for a little while to see if that does anything. If the ski is getting water in the supercharger, what damage could that have caused?

Thread Information