UMI Steering Systems

Have a few questions about the UMI steering systems. I'll just fess up from the get go, my main interest in doing this is for the bling. Something about those shiny bars that make the ski look faster. But, since this is a fairly pricey upgrade, I would like it better if they did offer more than just looks. Do these steering systems give an improved feel at all? For example, I wouldn't mind a little resistance/damping when I turn...do these provide that?

Also, how difficult is it to install the complete steering system? Is there a lot of labor involved, special tools required?

Lastly, I've only seen one XLT on here, I belive Waverider, with a UMI setup. Just curious to know if the XLT would look awkward/messy without the oem rubber boots. The GPRs seemed designed to accept them, but the XLTs appear they would leave an open void in that area.

+1
    If are you are looking for is the bling effect.... get a set of black performance bars from Riva (around $70), get rid of the top rupper, keep the bottom boot. The Riva bars are made to fit with all the cables, you just have to cut about 1/2 inch off of the end, drill a couple of holes, and for some reason mine were slightly too big in diameter for the quick trim to work; I had to grind on the left side for a couple of mins to make it work.

You can add other aftermarket bars too, just a few things go consider. You have to have enough bar past the curve to mount the quick trim and the grips. There are tons of bar options out there, but I ran into a problem with the first set I tried; the cables wouldn't reach far enough for me to mount the quick trim and the throttle right. This might be more of a problem on the XLL/XLT than the GPR. Plus, even when I got another set that sat lower, and the cables barely reached, the cover wouldn't fit over the bars. Make sure you get a set that sits pretty low to give you cable access, and your cover will fit. And actually, the other aftermarket bars I tried didn't have to be grinded to make the quick trim fit over them. Just make sure you choose some low profile bars, and you should be OK.

Abbott has a couple of excellent posts in the "Hot To" section telling you how to mount it all on aftermarket handlebars. And speaking of bling, Abbott is the King of Bling, check out his stuff
    http://www.greenhulk.net/yamaha/view...termarket+bars
    http://www.greenhulk.net/yamaha/view...termarket+bars
    Notice that the GPR doesn't have the boot that we do.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bars2_816.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	5975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bars1_151.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	5976  

+1
    looks awesome!

bars

Hey nrgy,
    I have a 03 xlt and i installed the umi steering setup and the pro-taper bars.It greatly improved the smoothness of the steering.You figure the umi steering setup has two ball bearings in it.The only thing i dislike is the hole where the tilt handle came through,well its just a hole there.I'm thinking about mounting my pet tach on there somehow to fill the void.

Thanks for the replies. Ski looks great Smitty. I originally thought about just changing bars and leaving the stock steering system, however I want to go for that polished aluminum look, my reason for wanting to swap out the entire steering system.

subarudude, do you happen to have any pictures of your ski with the umi steering? In particular, one showing this hole/void? I suppose I could just remove the rubber boots from my ski and have a look myself, but not sure I could get a nice visual in my head with the stock system in there.

Oh, also would anyone happen to know if tanyone makes a drop nozzle/clutch lever type system for the trim like they do with the GPR? Thanks again.

+1
    Smitty, that area looks very familiar, hahahahaha.
    I have a drop lever trim system on my ski. I'll look and see how long the cable is on the gpr and see if it will work on the xlt when smitty has his ski back over here. I believe there should be enough cable to make it work.
    Only problem with drop lever, it only goes down. So you need to set the nozzle in the sweet spot so when you let go it goes right to it.
    SHOOTER

[quote="nrgy"].

subarudude, do you happen to have any pictures of your ski with the umi steering? In particular, one showing this hole/void? I suppose I could just remove the rubber boots from my ski and have a look myself, but not sure I could get a nice visual in my head with the stock system in there.

Nrgy I will try to get a picture posted for you so you can see what i'm talking about.When you are sitting down on the seat,in front of you there is a black handle with "tilt" written on it.Imagine that gone,it is part of the stock steering system.

Thread Information